Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next lens test report: Fujinon XF 80mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro
Here we go:

https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1059-fuji80f28

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Cheers! Though I would have put more emphasis on the mechanical vignetting, which creates "swirly bokeh", especially when the lens is on f/2.8. It is quite noticeable on the picture of the bust, and on a few samples.
Good point, thanks for the hint. I added a remark in the cat'y eye section.
Editor
opticallimits.com

Good review of this good macro lens ..... I like the new "all the balls in the air" chart .

.... optically, it's all you would expect from a modern macro ... sharp ... 9 blades ...OS... good bokeh .....a little short at 80mm (120 equiv) ..... weighty and at around $900 ....

. ... a heavy price!

I know little about Fuji's lens range ...... I guess they are all on the pricey side.
(04-10-2019, 06:46 AM)davidmanze Wrote: Good review of this good macro lens ..... I like the new "all the balls in the air" chart .

.... optically, it's all you would expect from a modern macro ... sharp ... 9 blades ...OS... good bokeh .....a little short at 80mm (120 equiv) ..... weighty and at around $900 ....

. ... a heavy price!

I know little about Fuji's lens range ...... I guess they are all on the pricey side.

Except for their "Fujicron" range (16mm f2.8 and 23, 35, 50 mm f2), yes they are priced noticeably above their competitors. There are several reasons for this:

- They continue to make most of their lenses in Japan, which means higher wages and costs;
- They focus more on build quality (weather resistance) and optical quality than their APS-C rivals;
- They simply don't have the volume of their competitors, especially Sony and Canon.

That said, their lenses are much better optically than Sony's APS-C line (though you can pair Sony bodies with Sigma lenses), while Canon simply does not offer amateur or pro-grade lenses (though some of their offering is very well designed and well priced).

EDIT: Oh, and that $900 price was when the lens was actually on sale! Its normal price is $1200 and it is back there since the 1st of April.
Hum. Vignetting is awful high but otherwise seems nice. Would the cat eye go away if the lens had not been under-developed for the aperture ?
-
Price - expensive - not sure about build - these lenses haven't been around long enough to tell. We know that what his name was pretty impressed with the latest canon lenses when he took them apart - has he said anything about the fuji? I forget which lenses have the highest failure rate - for some reason i thought fuji was fairly high.
--
I remember Klaus having issues with the 55-200 and it was basically not repairable - and I've heard of others with similar issues but perhaps the issue is specific to that one lens.
(04-11-2019, 12:42 PM)you2 Wrote: Hum. Vignetting is awful high but otherwise seems nice. Would the cat eye go away if the lens had not been under-developed for the aperture ?

It probably would have needed to be much bigger, yes. That said, the 90 mm f2 does not suffer from such mechanical vignetting it seems, so it may be a trade-off for its macro capabilities. As always, it's a compromise between several factors. It's not the only recent lens that suffer from such swirly bokeh: check the Canon RF 50mm f1.2.

It may be a fact of life when you have the lenses sticking so close to the sensor.

(04-11-2019, 12:42 PM)you2 Wrote: Price - expensive - not sure about build - these lenses haven't been around long enough to tell. We know that what his name was pretty impressed with the latest canon lenses when he took them apart - has he said anything about the fuji? I forget which lenses have the highest failure rate - for some reason i thought fuji was fairly high.
--
I remember Klaus having issues with the 55-200 and it was basically not repairable - and I've heard of others with similar issues but perhaps the issue is specific to that one lens.

There was a 55-200mm teardown by by lensrentals here: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/02...-teardown/
Hmm, doesn't look like it's a great design. Heavier than the Canon EF 100mm macro L IS, which covers FF.