Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 IS USM coming soon
In film days, we had 120 and 127 rolls. Their rectangular format cameras didn't exactly rule the world...

Is our memory of these times dictating the manufacturers fear to risk something? Or is it the further use of pictures (in magazines, books, on movie/tv screens) dictating the form of the sensors?

You're right, it can't be that hard, so why isn't it happening. 

How many buildings with 1:1 ratio like the Kaaba in Mekka do you know? How often do you use the other ratios in the camera menu? And why so rarely? For me it's something new to think of (next to aperture, ISO, AF-mode...) and I would continue to forget to switch that ratio to another? No, not if it's shown properly in the finder as a frame - The Z 7 or the X-T2 don't do show a frame, they black out the "lost" area or they just enlarge the picture and since APS-C has the same ratio, I keep using it and am surprised how noisy the pictures became...

Even saying, "for birds I switch to APS-C" can cause a massive shitstorm in a forum. "They behave unpredictably, You need the full sensor (even in the corners where no DSLR-AF cell ever came to...). Birds are predictable in flight, humans are a bit slow to follow them with a lens.

Back in the day I could buy a 135 magazine for my Mamiya to shoot in panoramic ratio. I like panoramas, but for the extra cost of that magazine I could buy an develop a lot of 120 rolls and just use a crop. Also, the holder for the negatives then would have been the one with two 6x7 cm glasses which claimed to be Anti-Newton (as coatings claim to be flare-reducing, haha) and collected dust for 4 more surfaces.

Same today for printing readily cut photo paper and put it into a standard frame... Individual sizes of output format would be costly

Messages In This Thread
RE: Canon RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 IS USM coming soon - by miro - 07-05-2019, 07:35 AM
RE: Canon RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 IS USM coming soon - by davidmanze - 09-09-2019, 07:25 AM
RE: Canon RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 IS USM coming soon - by JJ_SO - 09-08-2019, 08:22 AM
RE: Canon RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 IS USM coming soon - by davidmanze - 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM