Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh those conundrums of lenses lenses lenses ..........
It's kind of a hunting instinct, I guess. I also didn't get why pictures of birs could be interesting, but I also don't get why trophies (=cut-off heads) of pigs, stags or elephants hanging over a chimney could be interesting.

But then I was able to catch a swallow in flight. I didn't care about the bloody fast bird, but to get that shot reasonably sharp was satisfying. Much to my surprise.

Best I can say about birders is they don't harm birds.
(07-15-2019, 11:11 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Personally I do not get "birding". I like birds a lot, but images of birds.. why? And for who?

But I digress.

See your PM for a 2nd hand Nikkor available in the low lands.

It may come as a surprise to you but out of all the images I post on Flickr, portraits, landscape, astro and other ......

..... the birding shots get twice the reception of the others .....

....... first off you have to love nature and watching the birds behavioural patterns and the thrill of catching getting the shot you've been waiting for ........ 

I know one thing, every nature photographer "earns" every image he takes !!
That means, you need to improve your portrait, landscape, astro skills?

*duckandrun*  Tongue
I get that you need to do your best to get those bird shots. And the birders will like the images for sure. But is there an audience as in: does anyone want a bird photo that is not in other ways artistic on the wall, for instance?
I like nature and I like birds, but (luckily, cost wise) bird photography is not something that really draws me in. The images themselves seem pointless to me, other than to document the subject.
(07-15-2019, 12:31 PM)davidmanze Wrote:  

Well, thanks for the link BC !!   I've rung the company and ordered the lens, they had to modify their site to accept a payment from France and are sending me an invoice......

Crikey, I think I've got some adrénaline running ............
Wow, nice!
(07-15-2019, 01:36 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: I get that you need to do your best to get those bird shots. And the birders will like the images for sure. But is there an audience as in: does anyone want a bird photo that is not in other ways artistic on the wall, for instance?
I like nature and I like birds, but (luckily, cost wise) bird photography is not something that really draws me in. The images themselves seem pointless to me, other than to document the subject.

If there wasn't a response it would be futile, but there is..... wildlife is a huge part of photography.......undeniably ....

..... It's getting the bird and then documenting it.

10 [b]Most Famous Types of Photography[/b]
  • 1) Landscape.
  • 2) Fashion.
  • 3) Fine Art.
  • 4) Portraiture.
  • 5) Wildlife.
  • 6) Wedding.
  • 7) Macro.
  • 8) Photojournalism
9. Architecture;
10. B+W.

Number five on the list of types of photography!
By the way BC it didn't occur to me to ask during "the influence of bird photography and it's effects on modern man" discussion

...... what is your genre of photography ?
I look for an artistic angle (not always findable by me). So, if it is a bird, it is about the whole image, not documenting the bird. So between all the crap I shot and just pretty pictures, my "keepers" are an expression of my "art". I would not mind a lovely 600mm f4 lens, but I can't tell you what I would be using it for, as have no clearly outlined purpose for it.

[Image: C600F137A5AD488BAE988DA44275DBAD.jpg]

[Image: 7F4A02F6DC5E4926A6B26716D59EFC30.jpg]
Wow, the first one is really beautiful to my eye.