Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mirrorless on board (airplane)
I think the latest time I took an airplane was in 2011/2012, and I started the mirrorless conversion in 2013: so I've never flied with my mirrorless system. The point is that the constraints about baggage were becoming so painful that I always preferred to use other means. This of course works for the continental Europe and my most frequent destinations (north/centre Italy, Switzerland, southern France, etc...).

Now I have to go to Cagliari, Sardinia, for business reasons. I'll enjoy a free weekend and of course I want to have most of my photographic equipment. As I expected, constraints have worsened since my latest flight. Not much a problem with checked-in baggage (it's just a matter to pay more for more weight), but with on-board stuff: in particular, 20cm of max. thickness. Nevertheless, I've been able to pack three camera bodies, three zoom lenses from 10mm to 200mm and one Nikkor prime used as a macro lens with the extension tube. I think that this is one camera body and one lens more than I'd been able to do with my previous DSLRs.

Too bad for the 150-600mm: it would fit for what concerns space, but it goes beyond the weight limit. Too bad because Cagliari has got coastal lakes packed with birds...
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Usually I pack the tripod and the long lens into check-in luggage. To Portugal, I had it in a backpack which fitted as cabin luggage.
In usa I would never trust any camera equipment with ('cept maybe a tripod) with checked luggage. Too many reported thefts by luggage handlers and perhaps tsa.
I pack my photo stuff as cabin luggage. Lately I use inserts (like from Tenba) to pack and secure all my photo gear and then put that in the cabin backpack with rest of the stuff I take onboard. MFT makes it easier here.

Few times I had more, like last year’s travel to US. There I had put a monopod into checked baggage. Going back, also long zoom went there. No problems eiher way.
Very typical Sony topic ;-)
I was puzzled whether to post it here or in "General talk". But my specific experience on what I'll be able to carry and what not is with Sony gear, even though very similar stuff could be said about MFT or Fuji. But, for instance, I think that the 150-600mm is not so popular with Fuji camera bodies; if I owned that system I'd probably have the 100-400mm, which is smaller and lighter. Similar arguments for MFT.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(09-17-2019, 08:03 AM)stoppingdown Wrote: I was puzzled whether to post it here or in "General talk". But my specific experience on what I'll be able to carry and what not is with Sony gear, even though very similar stuff could be said about MFT or Fuji. But, for instance, I think that the 150-600mm is not so popular with Fuji camera bodies; if I owned that system I'd probably have the 100-400mm, which is smaller and lighter. Similar arguments for MFT.

The 150-600 of Tamron can't be popular with Fujifilm. AFAIK there's no adapter available to transfer the management of electronical diaphragms - and the Tamron lenses, as well as most Sigmas these days, don't have mechanical diaphragms anymore, So, one would have to shoot at an aperture wide open or closed down, depending on the "parking place" of the unpowered diaphragm.

I don't care that much in which board a new thread is located, but I do care on a title with some sense in it. And yours does have that, stoppingdown Smile
[Image: 2Lz1fVO]
How Sony guys see DSLRs