Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EOS RP plus 24-240 for 1500$
Won't post any URL to avoid making commercial adds, but with such  a price it's an absolute bargain, however the steep price drop from 2200$  makes you
Wonder what's happening?
Well, the Holidays are closing in, and the FF Mirrorless war is still in the early stage. Both Canon (EOS RP with 24-240mm for $1499 or 24-105mm for $1899) and Sony (last year's A7II with 28-70mm for $999) are trying to secure as much market share as possible, since changing system can be costly, especially when you have already invested in glass.

I wonder how Nikon and Panasonic will react to this. Panasonic has no consumer/amateur FF product available, so I guess they won't be, but the Nikon Z6 is still $2300 with the 24-70mm (granted, it has IBIS, a better build and higher grade sensor than the RP, but it is their entry level FF camera). What will Nikon do to secure market shares? Their Z50 won't cut it: it's a good camera and a needed one to compete against the EOS-M and Sony A-6XXX lines, but they really needed a RP competitor this year.

Incidentally, I just received my brand new EOS RP with 24-105mm lens (bought it new from someone who won it in a contest for $2430 Canadian/ $1860 USD, which is a great deal once you factor in the 15% sales tax I would need to pay from B&H or other retailers), and I must say that ergonomically speaking, Canon is really ahead of its competitors! Love the grip, which fits my hand so much better than the X-H1 I am reselling. That said, I am keeping a few Fuji lenses with my X-T1 as a backup system: namely, the 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 23mm f2 and 50mm f2.
At least with the 24-105mm f4 there will not be a big issue with fast exposure times and the missing mechanical 1st curtain shutter. That missing shutter would be the reason for me to avoid it.

(10-24-2019, 08:06 PM)toni-a Wrote: Won't post any URL to avoid making commercial adds, but with such  a price it's an absolute bargain, however the steep price drop from 2200$  makes you
Wonder what's happening?

You wonder what is happening? Dropping the price after a while for market share purposes, that is the matter. Canon (at least in the USA) has lowered (on sale) FF prices across the board.