Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report - Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di USD VC G2
Quite nice albeit a BRICK:
https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_...n1530f28g2
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Roughly the same as the Sigma Art (brickwise). 1100 vs. 1150 grams. Was there much field curvature involved?

"AF operations are virtually silent and fast albeit the precision could have been better in our example at least. Manual focusing is always possible in one-shot AF mode."

Hmm, that's always a bit of an issue, at least with UWA, fast aperture and DSLR PDAF. If I recall correctly, one can customize AF speed against precision by using the USB-console.
How is AF precision in live view mode?
Holding a 1.1kg lens in live view mode in front of you? ;-) But no problem here. I'm always doing reference shots on the test charts in Live View mode and these were fine.

(11-18-2019, 09:22 PM)Klaus Wrote: Holding a 1.1kg lens in live view mode in front of you? ;-) But no problem here. I'm always doing reference shots on the test charts in Live View mode and these were fine.
Obviously, with a landscape lens one would use it in live view on a tripod ;-)
But I asked because in the past not all Sigma and Tamron (and especially Tokina) lenses were very accurate when focussing in live view.
"We may have entered the dawn of the DSLR era..." - huh, you probably meant the opposite, like Twilight or something. Smile Also I think I saw "pixel peeking" somewhere on page 2.

(Yeah, I'm at it again. Deal with it).

OTT, the lens looks great. Nice to see more and more lenses that are NOT done in by the good ol' 5DSR (after the initial streak of tests with "peculiar" results I was beginning to wonder...)
Yeah, I don't know why I always mix dusk and dawn - will never learn it I reckon.

The general optical formula may not have changed .... but something optically has changed about it ......
 ...... the first version suffered from strong and ugly onion ring bokeh, which was considered it's achilles heel ....... 

...... it looks like Tamron took those criticisms to heart and polished out those aspheric ridges as things look way better in the G2 version.
(11-20-2019, 07:54 AM)davidmanze Wrote: The general optical formula may not have changed .... but something optically has changed about it ......
 ...... the first version suffered from strong and ugly onion ring bokeh, which was considered it's achilles heel ....... 

...... it looks like Tamron took those criticisms to heart and polished out those aspheric ridges as things look way better in the G2 version.

No, dave. The optics have not changed, and Tamron has not changed the moulds for the aspheric elements. The "strong and ugly onion ring bokeh" is the same for both versions. Not sure why you think they have improved, as the bokeh test image crop in this review is not a great test to see how its "bokeh balls" perform (and it shows the rings anyway), and the version one lens test on Nikon has no such image to compare.

In short, nothing has changed there.

https://media.the-digital-picture.com/Im...h/15mm.jpg
https://media.the-digital-picture.com/Im.../Bokeh.jpg
(11-19-2019, 08:40 PM)Klaus Wrote: Yeah, I don't know why I always mix dusk and dawn - will never learn it I reckon.

Thank God you're not a vampire then, Klaus. Smile