Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First test of the Tamron 20 ƒ/2.8 Di III OSD M 1:2
(01-04-2020, 01:55 PM)faint Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 12:22 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Only in JPEG? What?

If you shoot RAW, you still have to apply corrections. And lose the same sharpness/resolution you lost in the camera's JPEG engine.

There's no switch "Corrections on" in any RAW convertor that I have used. Maybe in some pedestrian ones, there is such thing, but most of them allows you to selectively apply individual corrections, and to a certain degree. And even if you have enabled them in your camera, your RAW convertor might decide to apply different corrections on its own. And this will not modify the RAW file, but the rendered JPEG/TIFF image that you export based on the modifications that you have made to the image. This is why I believe your statement is not fully accurate without additional context.

If you apply CA correction with moderation, the actual result might produce sharper-looking image as CA corrections in software have little detrimental effect and the outcome of those being tamed results in positive net effect.

I would bet that, if this is not already the case, computational photography will be able to deal with lens' distortion with lower loss of corner detail.

Confused about your point. 
This Tamron has a LOT of barrel distortion. You seem claim that less correction by the optics leads to sharper results. 
Correcting the barrel distortion of under-corrected lenses leads to..... less resolution. Whether the correction takes place in camera (JPEG) or in later RAW conversions is irrelevant.

CA leads to less sharp results, because different wave lengths lead to different sized projections. Correcting (not masking) CA leads to sharper results, because you map the different colours back to the same size.

Messages In This Thread
RE: First test of the Tamron 20 ƒ/2.8 Di III OSD M 1:2 - by Brightcolours - 01-04-2020, 03:33 PM