Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EOS 1Dx III coming
It does have an AA filter, apparently a very advanced 4 layer one, which probably allows for higher resolution red and blue channels (those usually get muted to avoid strong colour aliasing, in demosaicing). So, resulting in sharper results (yes, without big aliasing issues).
(01-07-2020, 11:26 AM)mst Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 11:25 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: You think, the D6 would get IBIS? I don't. Smile

I do Wink

Seriously: they have the technology, so why NOT use it in their top DSLR?

Because I think professionals either need high shutter speeds or a reliably still standing sensor. They are much better off with a sensor that can go up 2 f-stops more than the others than an IBIS system which still comes at the cost of object motion blurr.

So far, the Zs are not able to detect themselves mounted on a tripod. Also, on long lenses the sensor movement doesn't help as much as optical stabilization by the lens.

We will see soon enough which way Nikon already decided to go. Let's not forget that Sony's ɑ9 II has a more versatile AF system with bigger coverage, less blackout and meanwhile rather good lenses.

New lenses, new cameras, all nice, but not exactly exciting, while the prices are at the high side.
I'm very sure that if the D6 comes with IBIS, it will work as a hybrid system with existing VR lenses. Potential buyers of the D6 will likely not have long lenses without VR.

Plus, I'm very sure it will be an optional feature and can be switched off, no one will be forced to use it in a scenario where it's not helpful Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Every single feature you can switch ON or OFF has the potential to getting forgotten in the next shot. Which means, more risks to bring unusable pictures home - like me, trying to reduce the wind shake of a sturdy tripod and realizing some of the blurred images were misfocused, others by the IBIS-attempt to counterfeit tripod shake (which is impossible for 15").

Switching off IBIS, going lower with the tripod and behind a little wind shelter helped - but the other day IBIS still was shut OFF and some shots at 1/100 were blurred. Apparently I already rely on IBIS too much.

As I say, the more options you can switch, the more you need to think of 'em.
We're not talking about compact cameras here, we're talking about high end professional tools... and we're also not talking about soccer moms or shutterbugs, but pros that shoot for their living, often in very demanding environments Wink So, yes, one can maybe forget some important settings. However, a professional photographer regularly doing so is, sorry to be harsh, on the wrong job.
Editor
opticallimits.com

The issue will be: is the IBIS tech rugged enough yet to be put in a pro-body? There is a reason that it does not debut in the new EOS 1, even though Canon has functioning IBIS tech available in research and development. So, I would not be too surprised if it won't be in the D6.
If on/off switch for important functionality would be such an issue, most of high end lenses would not have them plenty; including one for IS,  typically. ?

Good dual IS is a great asset in photography and even more in video. It took me to use it to realize it, though.
(01-07-2020, 02:30 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: The issue will be: is the IBIS tech rugged enough yet to be put in a pro-body? There is a reason that it does not debut in the new EOS 1, even though Canon has functioning IBIS tech available in research and development. So, I would not be too surprised if it won't be in the D6.

I agree on that.  And although I think a pro should know his equipment, I often see or hear professionals saying "keep the tools easy and simple, as the job is challenging enough even without complicated settings".

The simple thing would be: If a lens has an OIS switch, switching that one to OFF also sets the IBIS to OFF as well. There's a reason for the number of buttons on a D5/D6... Diving into the menu is like diving in to a coral reef - so many things to see and obey...