Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S announced
Maybe your view about parfocal lenses is a bit on the optimistic side:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/04...00mm-t2-9/ (with a nice comparison of CaNikon 70-200/2.8 to a Zeiss cinema zoom at roughly 6 times the price)
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/03...oto-zooms/

With an f/4 zoom it might be less of an issue as the DoF reserves especially from tele to wide are bigger, but Nikon also has to make this "oh, by the way, the zoom is well made for video as well" remark as they put a lot of marketing effort on this quality.

I don't care much about but I like the new S-line zoom is a tad cheaper than their F-line. However, I'm not sure to order, I don't find myself using this focal range often. I had the Nikkor 70-200/4 and sold it and now am rarely carrying around the Sigma 70-200/2.8 Sports. Often I simply take the 300/4 instead.
Just learnt: although Nikon had a big mouth of the 70-200 being "parfocal": It's not. They've already gone backwards with this claim. At least Jared Poling could quote a mail from Nikon saying so.

Crazy: Although it's officially  priced a tad cheaper than the F-mount lens, here in Switzerland the prices are much higher. Maybe they'll come down a bit once the first demand is satisfied, but Nikon would not be Nikon if that happens quickly. The 500/5.6 PF ist still not so easy to get, and for this 70-200 people were screaming for very long.
(01-17-2020, 10:25 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Just learnt: although Nikon had a big mouth of the 70-200 being "parfocal": It's not. They've already gone backwards with this claim. At least Jared Poling could quote a mail from Nikon saying so.

Crazy: Although it's officially  priced a tad cheaper than the F-mount lens, here in Switzerland the prices are much higher. Maybe they'll come down a bit once the first demand is satisfied, but Nikon would not be Nikon if that happens quickly. The 500/5.6 PF ist still not so easy to get, and for this 70-200 people were screaming for very long.

Tony Northrup tested the lens and said it's the best 70-200mm F2.8 lens he's ever tested ...... he was the one who mainly brought to attention the Nikkor AF-S MKII F mount version about the focus breathing !!
It's not about the optical quality in general, Dave, but first Nikon said "it is a parfocal lens" and only days later they say the opposite. Mind you, the Zeiss 70-200 T2.9 as tested by Roger Cigala IS a parfocal lens and COSTs roughly 7× more.
(01-17-2020, 01:43 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: It's not about the optical quality in general, Dave, but first Nikon said "it is a parfocal lens" and only days later they say the opposite. Mind you, the Zeiss 70-200 T2.9 as tested by Roger Cigala IS a parfocal lens and COSTs roughly 7× more.

Well, we all make mistakes .... perhaps they were mixing it with focus breathing?
Personally, I would say that focus breathing is more of a restriction to imaging than whether a lens is parfocal or not ...... at least to still shooters.
It might be that they meant focus breathing.

My EF 70-200mm f4 L USM narrows FOV, does 0.21x magnification at 1.2m.
The Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 FL VR does 0.21x magn. at 1.1m (and narrows FOV still).
This new Nikkor Z 70-200mm f2.8 VR S does 0.20x magn. at 1.0m.
(01-17-2020, 03:09 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: It might be that they meant focus breathing.

My EF 70-200mm f4 L USM narrows FOV, does 0.21x magnification at 1.2m.
The Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 FL VR does 0.21x magn. at 1.1m (and narrows FOV still).
This new Nikkor Z 70-200mm f2.8 VR S does 0.20x magn. at 1.0m.

Yes, they meant focus breathing - they state it at least on their Nikon.ch website. And here also is the rather ridiculous MRP announced. So all good, by the time it becomes sort of available, that price will be in the phantasm histories.