Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next OL lens test report: Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD
Pfff

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/...024f3545vc

PS: Note that there's a portrait in there - many readers are always complaining ... so it IS possible ... ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Thanks a ton, Klaus!

When this lens was released I was thinking of getting it instead of the Canon 16-35/4 I have. There have not been many reviews and yours is the final nail in the coffin of this idea. Probably for the better, too. It's a pity for anyone out to find a dedicated APS-C UWA lens though, because on paper this unit seems to have it all: the range, the stabilization, the decent aperture, the build quality...

Now a bit to earn my keep... From the distortion section: "they remain a slight level" - I think the word "on" is missing. Smile

P.S. I found this lens works on APS-H including at 10mm, but the hood has to be removed. With how the borders and corners look, though, I guess it's better not to bother.
Thx for the correction (fixed)!

I've to admit that I was quite shocked when I looked up the number of APS-C AF lenses released in the last 2 years in Canon mount.

It just the Tokina atx-i 11-16mm f/2.8 CF and two Yongnuo lenses.

I suppose this could have been our last review in this section then ...

You have not reviewed the Canon EF-S 35mm f2.8 macro IS STM yet, as far as I know. It does fall just outside "the last 2 years". ;-)

Other APS-C DSLR lenses that have escaped the/your review gaze since like forever, include the Samyang 16mm f2 and 10mm f2.8.
By the way, the EF-S 18-55mm f4-5.6 IS STM is also "unreviewed". But I can understand that testing a cheap kitlens may be rather uninspiring for you.
Well, we can't test EVERYTHING.

I'd rather not see you slam a coffin lid on the section though (why am I speaking of death again today... Smile), and probably test something if it comes your way and doesn't require you to bend out of shape to do this. There are a few Tokinas that might merit attention (12-28/4, 14-20/2...) I think there is a bunch of untested lenses in the Canon EOS M stable, too, though understandably it's low priority stuff for you now.

P.S. I was also considering this lens for my wife, but she demanded a fisheye lens instead, and so I got her the Tokina 10-17mm. Probably more fun that way, too.
Well, that 35mm macro is a rather interesting and unusual lens, that should merit a review...
(02-09-2020, 07:18 AM)Klaus Wrote: PS: Note that there's a portrait in there - many readers are always complaining ... so it IS possible ... ;-)

Yes, but it's not you who took it Smile

No many new canon APS-C lenses, but IMHO it's a mature system , it has by far more options that EOS R or even Sony FE for very reasonable pricing.
on the ultrawides side Canon 10-22 and 10-18 are already very decent, despite the speed advantage I would always go with my 10-18 since I don't need speed at 10mm and this lens is compact enough and optically nothing to complain about
(Maybe I am biased here since However When I need speed at very wide angle I use Tokia 16-28 on EOS RP)