Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera
Quote:The mount diameter of Sony NEX is the same (tiny bit smaller). That explains why Sony needed a different mount for FF mirrorless....  :ph34r:

I have not read anywhere Canon stating what you state above?

The numbers: Fuji X-mount diameter: 44mm. Nikon F-mount diameter: 44mm (bigger flange distance). Leica M39 diameter: obviously smaller than 39mm diameter (bigger flange distance), Leica M mount diameter 44mm (bigger flange distance). 46.1mm for Sony E mount. 47mm for Canon EOS M mount (54mm for EOS (bigger flange distance)).

That said, both the Nikon F-mount and the Sony E mount are rather narrow and kinda limiting for large apertures.
Regarding Canon not creating a FF mirrorless:

There have been at least 2 official interviews with highly placed Canon officials, after Canon having made the M1 available, in which Canon categorically stated that they would not produce an FF mirrorless, and that the M-mount was too small for an FF sensor.

I can't remember which the exact occasions were for these interviews, but they were related to the large photography exhibits like Photokina or the US exhibitions a few years ago.

I think one of those interviews might have been by DPReview, although I am not entirely sure.

Personally I do not care too much, as a shorter flange distance with larger sensors is IMO with the current state of commercially available sensor technology a recipe for disaster anyway, plus I am seeing FF more and more as a new medium format considering the size of bodies, megapixel count and increase of lens sizes in order to cope with the demands and stresses sensors with larger megapixel counts put on lenses and lens design. See 5Ds and 5DsR f.e., and the latest developents in lenses, like the 11-24 L - it is frighteningly huge.

Over the next few years I will likely replace my ageing 5D II, provided its replacement will have a minimum increase in pixel count of 50%, and I will certainly wait at least for the 6D II to be released to make some sort of decision, but it currently looks like the shooting gear I immediately grab for when going out for a shoot is something way smaller and more convenient, like my MFT gear.

People still deride it every so often, but with the current incarnations of bodies and (pro) lenses it is really awesome, and way better than the dslrs of say 4 or 5 years ago. And those were excellent as it was.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by davidmanze - 12-21-2016, 08:44 AM
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by davidmanze - 12-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by davidmanze - 12-21-2016, 11:02 PM
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by davidmanze - 12-22-2016, 12:43 AM
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by davidmanze - 12-22-2016, 09:04 AM
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by davidmanze - 12-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by davidmanze - 12-23-2016, 07:59 AM
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by wim - 12-23-2016, 08:47 AM
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by davidmanze - 01-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by davidmanze - 01-24-2017, 03:23 AM
Canon 6D successor will be a mirrorless full frame camera - by davidmanze - 01-24-2017, 09:22 AM