Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lens rumours for RF and EF-M
For those struck with corona-fatigue and/or quarantine-boredom, some vague lens rumours.

For RF: It is rumoured that a RF 14-28mm f2 L might join the set of f2 zooms.

For EF-M: 
  • EF-M 15mm f/2 STM
  • EF-M 52mm f/2 STM
  • EF-M 62mm f/4 Macro IS STM
  • EF-M 18-45mm f/2.8-4 IS STM
  • EF-M 100-300mm f/5.6-8 IS STM
That 52mm makes me wonder about the  reliability of this rumour (a bit). Canon has been pretty precise in matching 1.6x crop focal lengths with FF focal lengths (22mm, 32mm), so 53mm would be a better match for a 85mm FF equivalent. And that very slow 100-300mm seems a tad iffy too, it should be pretty affordable.
The focal lengths surely are odd. But maybe someone at Canon is also obsessed with numbers, and happens to like even figures better than the odd ones. Smile
(03-24-2020, 07:03 AM)Rover Wrote: The focal lengths surely are odd. But maybe someone at Canon is also obsessed with numbers, and happens to like even figures better than the odd ones. Smile
The other focal lengths are not that odd, actually.
22mm : 35mm FF equivalent
32mm: 50mm FF equivalent
15mm: 24mm FF equivalent
62mm: 100mm FF equivalent.

Just the 52mm seems a little bit off: 83.4 mm FF equivalent where 53mm would be 84.8mm FF equivalent. Seeing how they tried t "exactly" match equivalent focal lengths (22, 32mm), it just seems a bit off.
I don't see how these lenses could transform EOS M into a desirable system.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(03-24-2020, 09:46 PM)Klaus Wrote: I don't see how these lenses could transform EOS M into a desirable system.

EOS M is already doing very well and selling like hot cakes, some might argue they are selling well because it is written "Canon"  on them not because they are any better than competition... even then you have to offer lenses to those who already bought EOSM cameras  which is twice a win: sell lenses, hook people even more in your system.
Now as the world is shutting down due to COVID-19 crisis all already made calculations ad provisions should be reset....
I am into infectious diseases, and I can assure you it won't be an short term issue.... at best we will have a decline cases in summer then a huge surge in automn, I am expecting a black November in the northern hemisphere  unless a vaccine or treatment is found
Sorry for being pessimistic but sadly the worst is yet to come
Once it's getting really bad, they'll go for herd immunity IMHO.
The virus may be terrible but the social-economic impact will be worse and I'm not talking about money here.
How many business owners will commit suicide - how many will become homeless - how many children will be raised in poverty?
Eventually, this fallout will outweigh the concerns about the virus.

Only time will tell us what will happen, nobody absolutely nobody can do predictions now on what will happen to the world one thing is sure: don't expect things won't be the same
Well, very few people know/knew about the Spanish flu ...
It'll take a while but in 5-10 years things will be back to normal.
Humans are not good at remembering things.
Even in the year 2020, the world population will continue to grow.
In 3-4y China will open the wild animal markets again - just like they did after SARS.
And eventually, a similar case will emerge - more severe than ever because of more people than ever.

Of course, yes, nobody knows. I'm only speculating here but history is a good guide.

(03-25-2020, 11:05 AM)Klaus Wrote: Well, very few people know/knew about the Spanish flu ...
It'll take a while but in 5-10 years things will be back to normal.
Humans are not good at remembering things.
Even in the year 2020, the world population will continue to grow.
In 3-4y China will open the wild animal markets again - just like they did after SARS.
And eventually, a similar case will emerge - more severe than ever because of more people than ever.

Of course, yes, nobody knows. I'm only speculating here but history is a good guide.

The plague changed a lot of things in history
the spanish flu was followed by two wars...
Some thoughts .......

It is clear how vulnerable we are as individuals with this coravid  19.......... yet as a race we are almost indestructible .......

....  another parallel race is "ants"  where the value of an individual is 1/their population ..... not a life style for those with big egos .... 
..... apparently in their body is an ongoing antibiotic factory constantly producing new strains of ABs adapted to the latest biological infections ..... scientists are studying ants to see if humans can benefit from their inbuilt chemical factories ....... (I'm sure Toni can elucidate here)

As for the population of the world ..... it will only go on increasing ...... despite wars, diseases, nuclear disasters, natural disasters and anything else that unfortunate events can throw at us .......

When I was born the human population of the planet was 2.61 billion ..... sixty eight years later the population stands at 7.8 billion !!

......"all in one as yet incomplete lifetime"........ and nobody is the least bit fazed !!....

(as an aside, the total for all the human beings born and lived on Earth is thought to be 105 billion)

...... with modern man believed to date from 200,000 years ago and civilisation starting 6,000 years ago ....... it's pretty clear that we are in population runaway as I write ......... 

.... what a small percentage of time 68 years is in proportion to human existence ? yet it produced a three fold increase in human beings ....

One wonders where all this will end ?....

There's no doubt that in my mind the human race with it's freedom of choice and individual space is running up to the buffers ........ not extinction or anything like ....... but to the point where we jut cannot avoid treading on other peoples toes ........and I don't think the tipping point is too many decades away .....

Is there life on Mars ?? 

Elon ??