•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm almost wondering ...
Mirrorless propaganda has nothing to do with Pentax either.

Oh how I miss that like button! Smile
Funny that there have been 1000ths of photographers able to make great images with 85m lenses on Canon DSLRs, Toni. Including a much faster 85mm f1.2.

I much prefer OVFs (DSLRs over mirrorless/live view anything) myself. I am sure I would also prefer a Pentax DSLR over a Sony/Canon/Fuji mirrorless camera, in general.

The 7D mk II has had its fair share of criticism where AF accuracy with certain lenses in concerned, and certainly can't be called a camera "that has one of the best AF systems". Apparently, you yourself have found that it will need calibration with the EF 85mm f1.8 USM because of its optical flaws in combination with which wavelengths the 7D mk II's AF module "sees".

Just like others may hope that Pentax will continue to (also?) produce DSLRs, I hope that Canon also continues to develop DSLRs, next to their video and mirrorless photo stuff.
BC, this is a bit simplified.

I've definitely seen more AF misses with DSLRs. That doesn't mean that it's impossible to get the perfect sample, of course.
And as far as portraits are concerned, mirrorless is lightyears ahead due to eye-AF. And please don't argue with live-view on DSLRs here - this argument would be a bit lame in this context.

I don't argue about your preferences, of course. That's not my business. There are pros and cons to both EVFs and OVFs.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I personally find "eyelashes in focus only" photos lame. Miroless have a superior focusing system for most uses but a lot of DSLR critism is build on top of bad photography techniques. Bokeh is overrated.

Edit if I was buying again today I would probably prefer Fuji for a system. But hopefully I won't have to buy a camera for the next 15 years. Then I might have to drop Pentax.
(04-02-2020, 06:36 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Funny that there have been 1000ths of photographers able to make great images with 85m lenses on Canon DSLRs, Toni. Including a much faster 85mm f1.2.

I much prefer OVFs (DSLRs over mirrorless/live view anything) myself. I am sure I would also prefer a Pentax DSLR over a Sony/Canon/Fuji mirrorless camera, in general.

The 7D mk II has had its fair share of criticism where AF accuracy with certain lenses in concerned, and certainly can't be called a camera "that has one of the best AF systems". Apparently, you yourself have found that it will need calibration with the EF 85mm f1.8 USM because of its optical flaws in combination with which wavelengths the 7D mk II's AF module "sees".

Just like others may hope that Pentax will continue to (also?) produce DSLRs, I hope that Canon also continues to develop DSLRs, next to their video and mirror-less photo stuff.

Yeah, it's the ML awakening ........ suddenly we're getting the eye focused ..... automatically ..... to be fair, that's quite a conquest .... as long as the eyelashes don't put the eye out of focus again ....
    My big concession to ML is ....... AF coverage ..... I don't see the DSLR ever matching ML EVF for that!

But only the A9/A9II can successfully do sports/wildlife at similar levels as the Canikon pro sports cameras ..... but the EVF lag although minimal, can still be an issue with long lenses (above 600mm) ...... 
  So, finally both systems have got there .... after all these years .... or at least nearly there!!

PS. Over the years I've heard many togs say that using AF fine tune causes more issues than it solves and as a consequence never tune their lenses ...... were these people getting the best from their lenses ?? .........80% of mine needed tuning!
Nikon could bite the dust before Pentax. Out of all camera brands Nikon is the primarily photo based and it should be the most sensitive to downsizing. That would be funny to watch.
(04-03-2020, 06:56 AM)ioled Wrote: Nikon could bite the dust before Pentax. Out of all camera brands Nikon is the primarily photo based and it should be the most sensitive to downsizing. That would be funny to watch.

...... if ever I was looking for a risky bet ....... I wouldn't have to look much further .....
(04-03-2020, 05:44 AM)davidmanze Wrote: PS. Over the years I've heard many togs say that using AF fine tune causes more issues than it solves and as a consequence never tune their lenses ...... were these people getting the best from their lenses ?? .........80% of mine needed tuning!

AF fine tuning as in AF micro adjustment? That is not the same as lens calibration.
AFMA is really only a bandaid to be able to overcome an AF issue in the field. 

AF on DSLRs can be "miss" due to different wave lengths not focussing on the same plane. It depends on what the AF sensor is sensitive to. "Recently (last few years)", I have seen many complaints regarding Nikon cameras and different AF results in daylight and in artificial light. I bet that is due to a certain band of "invisible" light (IR/UV) that the AF sensor sees in focus before it would see visible light in focus.
You can't AFMA that away.

And because the AF misses are due to different wavelengths focussing differently, and lenses do not have the same aberrations over the whole focus range and even less so over the whole zoom range, AFMA is even less helpful.
(04-03-2020, 07:12 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 06:56 AM)ioled Wrote: Nikon could bite the dust before Pentax. Out of all camera brands Nikon is the primarily photo based and it should be the most sensitive to downsizing. That would be funny to watch.

...... if ever I was looking for a risky bet ....... I wouldn't have to look much further .....

They cancelled a mount, CX and killed DL compacts. So Nikon is no stranger to failure. They no longer develop DX format properly and have bet the farm on FX. So not exactly Pentax level of doom but things are not rozy.
(04-03-2020, 07:23 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 05:44 AM)davidmanze Wrote: PS. Over the years I've heard many togs say that using AF fine tune causes more issues than it solves and as a consequence never tune their lenses ...... were these people getting the best from their lenses ?? .........80% of mine needed tuning!

AF fine tuning as in AF micro adjustment? That is not the same as lens calibration.
AFMA is really only a band-aid to be able to overcome an AF issue in the field. 

AF on DSLRs can be "miss" due to different wave lengths not focusing on the same plane. It depends on what the AF sensor is sensitive to. "Recently (last few years)", I have seen many complaints regarding Nikon cameras and different AF results in daylight and in artificial light. I bet that is due to a certain band of "invisible" light (IR/UV) that the AF sensor sees in focus before it would see visible light in focus.
You can't AFMA that away.

And because the AF misses are due to different wavelengths focusing differently, and lenses do not have the same aberrations over the whole focus range and even less so over the whole zoom range, AFMA is even less helpful.
Morning BC !!
 A là Pentax K5 ....  which below a certain artificial light level would front focus ...... rectified in the K5II ...... by adding an IR filter to the AF array
  Nonetheless that wasn't my point ...... I am talking about general fine tuning in normal light ....

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next