Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They did it
I'm no expert of optics and materials, but I have some (constantly fading) notions of physics. Since a long time I wondered if it was possible to design a lens element that changes its optic properties with the application of something such as an external electric field.

Sony filed a patent about that:

Quote:<div>It’s the first time I see such an “electric lens” patent from Sony. It describes a zoom lens having normal optical elements and in the center two liquid crystal lenses. The liquid crystal lenses can change the “refractive index” with the use of electric signal. Sony writes:

To achieve miniaturization of the optical system, it is conceivable to use what is called a liquid crystal lens, in which liquid crystal is disposed between two planar lens substrates. This is because by applying an electrical signal to the liquid crystal to vary the refractive index of the liquid crystal, it becomes possible to vary the focal length of the lens without moving the lens itself.

</div>
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-bra...ns-design/

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.