Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tokina history
I don't like the focus clutch either - but it seems as if it is making a comeback due to video where mechanical focusing is preferred over focus-by-wire.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Not sure what the connection is with focus by wire..
(06-07-2020, 06:03 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Not sure what the connection is with focus by wire..

Right, it's not there. I think the Canon / Sigma / Tamron DSLR lenses are the best in this regard, as they have neither FBW nor the clutch. Unless, of course, the user is super wary of inadvertently changing focus in AF mode by rotating the focus ring.
(06-07-2020, 07:30 AM)Rover Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 06:03 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Not sure what the connection is with focus by wire..

Right, it's not there. I think the Canon / Sigma / Tamron DSLR lenses are the best in this regard, as they have neither FBW nor the clutch. Unless, of course, the user is super wary of inadvertently changing focus in AF mode by rotating the focus ring.

I've merely cited the dpreview video guy who loved the focus clutch on the Pana S lenses. I reckon it is because the focus throw is very defined - it isn't with focus by wire.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
S'alright. Anyhoo this thing is infectious since I think I've seen more than a few Olympus MFT lenses getting that feature. It's a cool thing for someone who never focuses manually like myself, if the manufacturer is unable or unwilling to do a full-time MF implementation or even FBW (interestingly enough the clutch was there on the 12-24 & 17 but oddly the 10-17 doesn't have it and it gets the "good" old-fashioned spinning focus ring like the cheapest and oldest AF lenses of yore).
I have tried focus by wire, if you do nothing but autofocus it's excellent, for manual focus it has a major drawback: if you are looking through the viewfinder you don't know where the focus is since no focus scale on the barrel. Some cameras actually do show the focus distance in the EVF/LCD in that case no problem though
Focus by mechanics has the same issue... When you look through the viewfinder you do not know "where the focus is" (in distance). Why do you want to know how far focus is, when you can see what is in focus? Does that ever matter?
(06-12-2020, 07:27 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Focus by mechanics has the same issue... When you look through the viewfinder you do not know "where the focus is" (in distance). Why do you want to know how far focus is, when you can see what is in focus? Does that ever matter?
I don't use hyperfocal focusing but those who do, really care for it.
The only times I misse the focus scale is when doing night shots once I was shooting long exposure shots on the beach on the beach, it was dark , I could barely frame in the viewfinder, also using my 8mm Samyang fisheye I totally rely on the focus scale.
Klaus asked to avoid deep linking to pictures and I don't have my own pictures here, so here's a page link:

https://keyesphoto.com/2018/11/03/moonse...milky_way/

Take my word if you were shooting there, you would really need a lens focus scale of course, dunno if the photographer used it here or not A7iii does show focusing distance in the LCD though, but if you are using an SLR or if your camera doesn't show focus distance and the LCD is black or near black in those conditions, focus scale is the easiest approach
Ah right, I get your point now.