Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF18-45 coming in 2021

.jpg   kamilraouche2020.0145.jpg (Size: 255.77 KB / Downloads: 70)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=99]
I do need more dynamic range and ISO invariance, it makes life easier, picture taken with Canon 10-18 on 7Dmkii in-camera HDR.
if I had a better sensor I would have taken a single shot and didn't worry much about noise in the shadows, especially I am becoming quite lazy for editing pictures, I still have so many RAWS to edit.., even this one still needs some work...
Sometimes we don't have time to setup a tripod to take a shot (thinking of a family setting during a hike for instance). Thus, able to capture a larger DR is very useful.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Then you do not shoot with low ISO high DR....
Yes, I do.

Sometimes you may have a large difference in brightness between say the foreground and the sky.
A solution is to use a tripod and shoot multiple shots at different exposures and merge them.
Another solution is to use a graduated filter, but it only works if you the 2 areas are perfectly separated (well close to), e.g. with a line.
A last solution is to take a single shot and post-process. Not perfect, but you can get descent results if the sensor doesn't introduce too much noise after post-processing (typically pulling dark areas).

That's where most Canon sensors suck.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(06-16-2020, 06:50 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Yes, I do.

Sometimes you may have a large difference in brightness between say the foreground and the sky.
A solution is to use a tripod and shoot multiple shots at different exposures and merge them.
Another solution is to use a graduated filter, but it only works if you the 2 areas are perfectly separated, e.g. with a line.
A last solution is to take a single shot and post-process. Not perfect, but you can get descent results if the sensor doesn't introduce too much noise after post-processing (typically pulling dark areas).

Well said, however newer Canon sensors seem to have solved the issue with  80D 5D4 90D and EOSR it's not a problem with my EOSRP it still is. 
My 7D2 has built in HDR that works quite well and at 10fps it is usable handheld the result is very acceptable. But I agree   a better sensor is the way to go.
Sensor performance on paper isn't everything I would still prefer my EOSRP over an A7ii despite A7ii sensor superiority in reviews
(06-16-2020, 07:51 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 06:50 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Yes, I do.

Another solution is to use a graduated filter, but it only works if you the 2 areas are perfectly separated, e.g. with a line.

Well said, however newer Canon sensors seem to have solved the issue with  80D 5D4 90D and EOSR it's not a problem with my EOSRP it still is. 
My 7D2 has built in HDR that works quite well and at 10fps it is usable handheld the result is very acceptable. But I agree   a better sensor is the way to go.
Sensor performance on paper isn't everything I would still prefer my EOSRP over an A7ii despite A7ii sensor superiority in reviews

Very true that "sensor is not everything". A friend of mine lent me his Sony A7IIIR with some G master lenses. However, I really dislike the way the camera operates. I tried for a while to get used to it, but I enjoy shooting with my Fuji X-T20 so much more that despite the inferior sensor, I'd take it any day over the A7IIIR, regardless of the IQ improvement.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Calendar check.

Here we are in 2020 still talking about Canon's dynamic range ....... 

I started out with the Samung GX10 (Pentax K10) in head scratching  2006 (good god)   ......which had terrible Jpgs pastel false colours mediocre RAW files .. but hey .. it was digital ...
... then came the K20 which had way better Jpgs/RAW  and decent dynamic range and  14.5 Mps resolution.......

Turning point .... 2010.

the K5 .... and that was it! bingo ..... 14 stops of DR, really malleable files, tons of detail in the shadows without much noise, truly liberating !! .... actually I think it was one of Pentax's best sensors (Sony 16 MPs) .... this was the turning point for Sony ........ the modern day IQ was there ..... ten years ago! 
..... then Nikon appeared and it was more of the same and I've been shooting those sensors ever since ..... 

Now ten years down the road which is an eternity in the digital world ......... and we're still reading the same old  Canon script ..... words like  .... "adequate" should not be a description of a modern sensor ....
 ..10 years after the Sony 16 MP sensor and Canon still hasn't caught up .... their sensor circuitry picking up noise en route when everyone else has it on the sensor's rear tucked away from all things spurious... 

..... and what with life being so short and all .. Smile

perhaps they'll produce afterlife range Smile
A good site to visualize the DR of various cameras is https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/P...0Mark%20II

Basically, an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II blows the Canon EOS RP out of the water up to ISO 1000 and then the Canon is ever slightly better.

Given the Olympus has a "tiny" sensor (to paraphrase most FF owners talking about MFT), it's a bit worrisome...
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(06-18-2020, 11:14 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: A good site to visualize the DR of various cameras is https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/P...0Mark%20II

Basically, an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II blows the Canon EOS RP out of the water up to ISO 1000 and then the Canon is ever slightly better.

Given the Olympus has a "tiny" sensor (to paraphrase most FF owners talking about MFT), it's a bit worrisome...

Given that just about every sensor performs more or less the same above ISO 1000 when normalized in the way photonstophotos does, it is more worrisome that some do not understand what they are looking at there.
Nope, check other cameras.
For some reason, it seems quite difficult for you to admit the sensor in the RP is crap.

It appears dpreview agrees with these finding as well. From their RP review:
"The exposure latitude test, where we lift the shadows in images shot at progressively lower exposures shows that the EOS RP's performance is behind that of the Sony a7 II, and looks to be behind the EOS M50, despite the latter's smaller sensor."

But I suppose these sources are wrong. How can Canon possibly produce a subpar sensor?
--Florent

Flickr gallery