Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting point of view: if you love photography don't become a professional....
Fully agree, even though I work part time as a photographer. Since I don't need to rely on photography as a full time job (and thanks to the fact that the customers pretty much come to my feet without me doing any promotion or anything like that), I still don't hate photography even though it's a job for me. Also helps that I do interior and product photography, both of which have minimum human contact (way easier on my nerves than otherwise) and the venue, product and style to be used in a shoot always makes it more interesting and challenging for me compared to just trying to get another non-model person to pose.

Another aspect of my shooting style that helps me deal with this dilemma might be that I shoot and love both film and digital in their native and hybrid workflows. When I'm shooting architecture, I shoot digital, correct everything to a clinical level in post if the customer demands so and deliver digital copies. When I'm shooting for myself, I usually shoot film, develop and scan at home and most of the time don't even edit the scanned images but go print them in my darkroom instead. That way when I'm dealing with my street photography post exposure, it doesn't really feel like I'm once again in front of my PC as if I'm editing those architecture shots. Even the gear I use for those different genres feel vastly different in use (digital mirrorless vs. medium format SLR, TLR and 35mm rangefinder) so it almost feels like I have two different hobbies in the end.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interesting point of view: if you love photography don't become a professional.... - by obican - 06-20-2020, 04:54 PM