Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm starting to feel an astro itch ...
Shooting landscape with milky way is something and shooting galaxies and nebulae is a totally other thing.
For the milky way yes add a decent fast ultrawide a good trigger and you are done.
For nebulae and galaxies things get more complicated, with a simple telescope earth rotation isn't your friend
Classically the rule of 500 ( shutter speed 500/focal length for full frame) is used to calculate shutter speed and avoid star trails it's equivalent to 1/focal for handheld
for a 20mm lens full frame 500/20=25 seconds that's feasible for telescopes you can't use 25 seconds so an expensive motorized equatorial mount is a must, it will compensate for earth rotation and allow longer shutter speeds , buying just a cheap telescope is just like buying Canon 75-300 lens, either you drop photography or you resell and buy decent equipment.
I did very little astro but my friends who do sometimes spend several nights for a single shot, shooting the nebula several times then stacking the pictures to reduce noise, they say it's a very rewarding experience

Messages In This Thread
I'm starting to feel an astro itch ... - by Klaus - 06-30-2020, 10:21 AM
RE: I'm starting to feel an astro itch ... - by davidmanze - 06-30-2020, 01:40 PM
RE: I'm starting to feel an astro itch ... - by miro - 06-30-2020, 02:41 PM
RE: I'm starting to feel an astro itch ... - by davidmanze - 06-30-2020, 03:11 PM
RE: I'm starting to feel an astro itch ... - by toni-a - 07-01-2020, 07:11 AM