Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excess of lubricant in adapter
I've just received yet another  Rolleyes M42-Emount adapter. This one includes a focusing helicoid which extends up to 32mm. I've been regularly using the Trioplan for macro work, adding extension tubes from 6mm to 20mm, and I want to fix the annoyance of mounting and unmounting tubes on the field.

The adapter is cheap (less than 30€) and made in China. I second JoJu's advice of avoiding cheap Chinese products with electronics inside, but this is mechanical only. Honestly, all but one of the mechanical adapters I've bought so far are absolutely ok - the one which has some annoying play in the mount is a tilt adapter, so in the end it shouldn't matter.

The one I got today is very, very well built - I'd say excellent: feels robust, no play, the rotating ring is on the stiff side (which I like). The only problem is an excess of lubricant that can be seen on the tubes that extend. On the external side it can make your hands dirt, and "attract" dust. On the internal side I'd be a little worried of seeing some lubricant on the sensor, even though there are no droplets, only a thin film. So probably it's not a big deal. I'm patiently cleaning it by extending the tubes, removing the lubricant with a cloth, collapsing the tubes and repeating the procedure until, I think, the problem should be fixed.

Should I be more worried about that? Comments? 

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.