Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R5 test scene over at dpreview
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/718287...test-scene

Interestingly, the Pana S1R is the sharpest of the 4. The Z7 seems to be the softest.

The noise level is quite high at ISO 3200 - worst on the A7R IV (unsurprisingly - it has 61mp).

Funnily the R5 has the worst moiree - despite the AA filter.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Indeed, Pana exhibits quite impressive sharpness. On the other hand, Canon seems best in noise department.
(07-27-2020, 08:26 AM)Klaus Wrote: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/718287...test-scene

Interestingly, the Pana S1R is the sharpest of the 4. The Z7 seems to be the softest.

The noise level is quite high at ISO 3200 - worst on the A7R IV (unsurprisingly - it has 61mp).

Funnily you can cherry-pick what you look at to claim that the R5 has the worst/best moire...

.jpg   Screenshot-2020-07-27-at-10.36.24.jpg (Size: 130.04 KB / Downloads: 11)
You mean like this one?

Attached Files
.jpg   r5.jpg (Size: 320.43 KB / Downloads: 15)

Yep, and like these:

.jpg   Screenshot-2020-07-27-at-12.58.08.jpg (Size: 205.31 KB / Downloads: 10)

You do know that these test images are not very representative of much? Different lenses/lens quality, not necessarily focussed optimally all of the time, and very RAW converter/profile depend, right? If you want to do a good aliasing/moire/resolution comparison, this is not how to go about it.
(07-27-2020, 08:26 AM)Klaus Wrote: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/718287...test-scene

If you hover your mouse pointer over the [ i ] icon on the lower right corner (below each scene crop), you can get EXIF information that also tells which lens was used for the shot. When you see that Z7 uses 85/1.8G, and S1R uses Summicron 90/2, it becomes rather obvious how pointless comparing sharpness is.

Z7 also has base ISO of 64, not 100.

S1R has FSI sensor, so it will trade slightly better dynamic range at low ISO for slightly worse noise performance at high ISO . Also - not sure if it features dual-gain sensor architecture. We will have to wait to see how good DR is on R5, but I suspect it will be quite good.
You just can't have too many lenses...
Anyway, the good news is that the R5 has a very weak AA filter.

So maybe a R5 with the Summicron then. ;-)

It's a pity that these Panasonic cameras are so huge ...

(07-28-2020, 09:52 AM)Klaus Wrote: Anyway, the good news is that the R5 has a very weak AA filter.
It supposedly has the same (or similar) 4-layer 16-point or high Gaussian distribution low pass filter the 1DX 111 has.
Interesting article here: https://www.strollswithmydog.com/canon-h...gd-lpf-aa/
Quote:So maybe a R5 with the Summicron then. ;-)
Well, an RF 85L should work as well if not better Wink.
The advantage of the RF lens is that it has AF. Also, I found that many Leica M-lenses do not play nicely with the sensor stack of an EOS R series camera, especially the WA ones (wide purple edges and borders), although I had similar problems with some of the 50 mm FLs. Haven't tried the 90 mm version yet, but I will pass, as I find even with a MILC it is just too cumbersome to focus manually with MF only lenses for anything but slow shots, like static macro or architecture and such.
Quote:It's a pity that these Panasonic cameras are so huge ...
Well, they are not that great at AF either, based on the little experience I have with them. Tried one, and it did not feel comfortable in my hands, which oviously is a personal thing, and neither did I find AF to be very accurate, compared to Canon. The EOS R just fell into my hand as if it belonged there, focused incredibly well, so I expect for the R5 to be very similar regarding ergonomics, and way better with regard to AF.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
FWIW, I reckon it's the Summicron-SL 90mm f/2 - which features AF - albeit not on EOS, of course.

As for the EOS R - it still fights me at times. In terms of shape, it's among the best though.
Unfortunately, Sony refuses to learn.

(07-28-2020, 09:43 PM)Klaus Wrote: FWIW, I reckon it's the Summicron-SL 90mm f/2 - which features AF - albeit not on EOS, of course.
Ah, I see. Not my kettle of fish, however.
Quote:As for the EOS R - it still fights me at times. In terms of shape, it's among the best though.
Unfortunately, Sony refuses to learn.
I find that occasionally the EOS R is too clever for its own good when it comes to AF modes. I should really read up on it, I never did, just trial and error. However, the 2 modes I normally use are always spot on, and misfocus basically means user error.
With the R5 AF should only get better Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....