Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Dave R5 autofocus for birds in flight
I looked on the DP review Canon RF forum to see the reception the R5 was getting, expecting to see favourable comments ....

..... so I was surprised to see the amount of disgruntled posters many of which who "felt cheated" by the amount of overheating issues that are coming to light .... a few defenders but they are in the minority ........ the still shooters were happy and had good things to say ..... but the majority were video shooters and in general, didn't have!

Not at all the reception I expected .........
Suddenly, overheating became the main issue of cameras while it has been there for a long time and nobody cared.... first it was megapixel race, nobody talked about dynamic range, then suddenly dynamic range became the main issue, now overheating at video resolutions very few need is the main trend....
We are discussing birds autofocus and animal eye autofocus, then overheating pops...
And still my main issue with mirrorless autofocus hasn't been assessed, locking on the subject is it as fast as in modern DSLRs ? locking on the subject not tracking after autofocus has bitten on the subject .
In a football match autofocus has locked on a player, mirrorless tracking will track him perfectly and all shots will be in sharp focus no doubt about that, however you need to switch to another player, will mirrorless autofocus locked instantly on the new player and start tracking as fast as a modern DSLR or I would lose a precious fraction of a second before it starts tracking ??
AF locking from the reviews and comments I have seen so far is faster than the human eye if you have set it to human or animal AF, and changing to another subject can be very easily done with the aid of the joystick. AF once locked on is instantaneous, and faster than a 5D 1V. Tracking starts straight after it has locked on to a subject.

HTH, kind regards, WIm
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(08-01-2020, 06:48 AM)toni-a Wrote: Suddenly, overheating became the main issue of cameras while it has been there  for  a long time and nobody cared....  first it was megapixel race, nobody talked about dynamic range, then suddenly dynamic range became the main issue, now overheating at video resolutions very few need  is the main trend....
We are discussing birds autofocus and animal eye autofocus, then overheating pops...
And still my main issue with mirrorless autofocus hasn't been assessed, locking on the subject is it as fast as in modern DSLRs ? locking on the subject not tracking after autofocus has bitten on the subject .
In a football match autofocus has locked on a player, mirrorless tracking will track him perfectly and all shots will be in sharp focus no doubt about that, however you need to switch to another player, will mirrorless autofocus locked instantly on the new player and start tracking as fast as  a modern DSLR or I would lose a precious  fraction of a second before it starts tracking ??

Yes, overheating has been there for a long time ...... and yes utubers did care!  ......... but there were no real affordable choices .... so you had to live with it ...... 
  ...... the video world is not looking for upholding overheating traditions like it is some sort of national heritage ...... ........ and the SH1 has shown that it can be overcome ..... and the hunt is on for the perfect video camera ...... preferably at an affordable price ....
  ..... as a matter of interest for myself I'm going to try a 4K overheating test on the D500 today ...... it's 33° now and temperatures are set to rise to 38° + ..... full on heat wave temperatures ...... (I will do it in the shade because anything black will produce temps of 45-50° in full sun)  ..... I'll see how it does.
(08-01-2020, 10:22 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 06:48 AM)toni-a Wrote: Suddenly, overheating became the main issue of cameras while it has been there  for  a long time and nobody cared....  first it was megapixel race, nobody talked about dynamic range, then suddenly dynamic range became the main issue, now overheating at video resolutions very few need  is the main trend....
In a football match autofocus has locked on a player, mirrorless tracking will track him perfectly and all shots will be in sharp focus no doubt about that, however you need to switch to another player, will mirrorless autofocus locked instantly on the new player and start tracking as fast as  a modern DSLR or I would lose a precious  fraction of a second before it starts tracking ??

Yes, overheating has been there for a long time ...... and yes utubers did care!  ......... but there were no real affordable choices .... so you had to live with it ...... 
  ...... the video world is not looking for upholding overheating traditions like it is some sort of national heritage ...... ........ and the SH1 has shown that it can be overcome ..... and the hunt is on for the perfect video camera ...... preferably at an affordable price ....
  ..... as a matter of interest for myself I'm going to try a 4K overheating test on the D500 today ...... it's 33° now and temperatures are set to rise to 38° + ..... full on heat wave temperatures ...... (I will do it in the shade because anything black will produce temps of 45-50° in full sun)  ..... I'll see how it does.

Uhmm Dave... The D500 does not so 40K 60 FPS (that is the mode the R5 and A7S III overheated on in florida in the sun (both are black), the R5 does not have "overheating" with 4K30. So, not sure what you want to test. And that D500 also has that 29 minutes 59 seconds record time limit.
Ok .... the test is done ...... 37° "in the shade" (we were all sweating) ..... at 4K at 24Fps in max quality @100 ISO using the Samyang 14mm F2.8 in manual mode ..... crop is 1.5X on the APSc sensor  

....... the full 29min 59 sec was completed without a glitch  ... (no warning symbols)....... and the whole camera body was "hot everywhere" to the touch afterwards, which shows the camera lets the heat out to the outside world ....... the battery still showed 2/3rds charge after filming .....

..... this a test mainly aimed at giving me an idea whether the D500 could do the job ..... and as usual the D500 didn't let me down ..... 

....... please don't take this as a comparison between the R5 and the A7SIII ...... it isn't !! ...... and come back with all the "wasn't this's and wasn't that's" ..... it did not stop !!

...... but it does show that a great sports DSLR can successfully be used as a video camera with good 4K IQ to film, without stopping or overheating, when the moment demands, even in the height of the heat wave we are suffering from here !!

..... just provide a little shade of any sort and you will do fine ...

Bravo the D500!!
Of course, even a EOS M6 mk II (and 90D) shoots 4K30 without overheating, just like your D500, but with DPAF too. Just with a much lower bitrate than an R5, and not HQ 40K60 like the R5 can do.
Dave... You take me back to overheating.... Since it took you till today to know whether your camera overheats or not, it shows how irrelevant is the issue for us normal users, and the ultimate proof that it's irrelevant for us is that you will not watch the actual footage you took... Let's get back to what really matters
(08-01-2020, 03:08 PM)toni-a Wrote: Dave... You take me back to overheating.... Since it took you till today to know whether your camera overheats or not, it shows how irrelevant is the issue for us normal users, and the ultimate proof that it's irrelevant for us is that you will not watch the actual footage you took... Let's get back to what really matters

If it is irrelevant, then why are you here talking about it? ....... you've added your 10 cents every inch of the way !!

Since my grandfather gave me his Rollieflex and Voigtlander Bessa II ..... I have been fascinated by cameras ...... probably always will be ....

..... We could start by how we are destroying our planet and how since my birth the population of the planet has risen from three to over seven billion which is probably the most important thing ever ......
.... but it's a whole lot less depressing to talk about cameras!