Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 USM L IS II
It is what it is. You can't solve the problem.

You either get MTFs from an optical bench - which are cross comparable within a specific lens format (not cross format) but which ignore sensor effects - or you get data obtained via a camera-lens system and you can forget cross-comparison but have an idea about the real world outcome (depending on how you do it).

With enough experience, you can compare the results to some degree. But yes, most people can't.

In the end it comes back to the point that I continue to stress - take a bunch of (serious) reviews and take from them whatever you feel is important to you. No review site is the single source of wisdom. Those who state they are, are also the first ones to ignore.

But surely the Poor / Fair / Good / VG / Excellent bars are for just that - making the (rough) comparison between the behaviour of different lenses on whatever systems? So long as I'm not trying to compare numbers, I guess I'm fine by just gauging the bar heights and getting an overall impression of the unit's performance.

P. S. I was thinking that this scale is a little misleading, because the part of the scale labelled "Good" may actually stand for quite soft - unbefitting a central performance of any semi-decent lens for sure. Thankfully there have been very few lenses with less than VG central performance wide open (in case of zooms, at least at most focal lengths...) The two that come to mind are the Canon 50/1.2 L and the Nikon 24-85 D.

Quote:But surely the Poor / Fair / Good / VG / Excellent bars are for just that - making the (rough) comparison between the behaviour of different lenses on whatever systems? So long as I'm not trying to compare numbers, I guess I'm fine by just gauging the bar heights and getting an overall impression of the unit's performance.

P. S. I was thinking that this scale is a little misleading, because the part of the scale labelled "Good" may actually stand for quite soft - unbefitting a central performance of any semi-decent lens for sure. Thankfully there have been very few lenses with less than VG central performance wide open (in case of zooms, at least at most focal lengths...) The two that come to mind are the Canon 50/1.2 L and the Nikon 24-85 D.
We are discussing that you can't really compare the bar heights in case in case of the 5DSR (and to lesser extent the A7R II)due to the sharpening (and IMO the lack of AA filter).

The Canon 50mm f1.2 L USM can be used wide open without problem. That should tell you something?
In addition, Photozone is extremely strict in reviews. What is considered average here may actually be quite good in real life Smile.

The old 24-105 L peopel generally raved about, and are still quite happy to use. Personally I found I did not like its low light performance, not so much because of its aperture, but because of its rendering in low light.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Hum... EPhotozine.com has tested this lens - also on 5DSR and it looks a lot better in their evaluation for some reason (but still pretty unexciting around 3/4 into the range). Just FYI.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-ef-24-105mm-f-4-is-ii-usm-lens-review--30572