Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeiss Otus and Milvus get ousted to second and third place by Sigma!
The Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX GD HSM does not fit in at all, in my opinion. It is of the level of the cheaper Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM, with its heavy LoCA and disappointing blur. Without the Canon's great AF.

Hmm... the sample I have handled was doing pretty decently at f/1.8 already. But if I ever get around to buying a dedicated 85mm prime, I'd probably go with the Tamron now, especially if the price becomes a little lower.

Well the good new is Sigma is making great prime lenses affordable.  Canon is the only one capable of f1.2, and AF is invaluable.  I guess I'd better see if lens tips also says the 50mm Sigma is superior to the 50mm Otus.  Anyone making that claim...well...

Anyway, anyone can post their opinions, and I don't even know the terminology.  One sight posted that the Sigma Art series lacks in "microcontrast".  I haven't tried to decypher the term, but oddly enough I agree that is lacks something that the Otus has.  Some people are thrilled that at f/1.4 only the eyes are sharp.  Yet with the Otus you see an entire face which is pleasing, and with the Sigma there are areas that seem melted away.  I can't explain the different.  I don't know what to make of "microcontrast".  I don't know how they plot these points.  Flat target?  B/W.  I guess reading this we would "Know" that Milvus is better than Otus at f/4 and f/5/6.

Well, all righty then!

@ Rover:  While do you die a little when you see a graph like the above?

Is it because the web is chumming the water and you know you are going to take the bait?  Because your entrant in this category does not compare?  Yes, I feel drawn towards the feeding frenzy.  But don't sell your skills short!  This low aperture high resolution thing looks impressive.  But is within limits.  Expertise with what you own is better that high spec equipment that you have not learned to master.  If you have an 85 that you chose carefully.  Chances are it's capable enough.  I've been looking at fast 85's.  The Otis looks like the best by far to me, except, I wouldn't spend that much for MF only.  Hell, if I already had the EF 85 f/1.8 I don't think I'd even care.  Since I don't there is a world of options.  All pretty good.

The new Samyang 85mm F1.2 is by all accounts flat out excellent at max aperture in the center and very good at the edges, only available in Canon though.......Nikon genuinely loses out here!

Just noticed that breaking records and showing their muscles has been for a ling time sigma's strategy, from the old bigma, sigzilla, sigmonster to Sigma 200-500f2.8, now they are showing their know how, not surprised

Quote:@ Rover:  While do you die a little when you see a graph like the above?

Actually, I'm the one who made the comment about the graph. The problem is the Y-Axis. It starts right around the lowest value achieved in the test (85/1.2 wide open). The effect is that all the differences between everything is pretty exaggerated this way. 

How much better the others may be, 85/1.2L is not bad in the center at all. Start the Y axis at 0 or at least somewhere at a value that you accept where a lens is absolutely useless and it makes much more sense.
Yeah, wasn't me. I am still impressed by the quality of this new lens however.

Quote:Actually, I'm the one who made the comment about the graph. The problem is the Y-Axis. It starts right around the lowest value achieved in the test (85/1.2 wide open). The effect is that all the differences between everything is pretty exaggerated this way. 

How much better the others may be, 85/1.2L is not bad in the center at all. Start the Y axis at 0 or at least somewhere at a value that you accept where a lens is absolutely useless and it makes much more sense.
You read PZ with a healthy serving of aspirin?  Wink
Quote:You read PZ with a healthy serving of aspirin?  Wink

PZ is not that bad, they even used to flat out mark the Y axis in grades poor-fair-good-excellent. It puts the things into perspective. Lenstip, on the other hand, changed their Y axis specifically for that graph. All the other resolution test graphs in all their reviews start from a much lower value. 

It seems they got really excited and they wanted to make the Sigma 85/1.4 even better than it already is.