Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ?
It is as if people do not understand what 100% means.

100% means EVERY SINGLE shot you have ever taken.

If you shot EVERY SINGLE image in RAW+JPEG you have still shot JPEG.

You have not shot 100% RAW!

But when someone says "NOT ONE JPEG IMAGE HAS HIT MY CARD” you are making an empty, ridiculous boast.

I understand completely that people shoot 80, 90, maybe even 99% in RAW.

But to suggest that you have not ONCE taken an image in JPEG, for example your next door neighbour's cat is plain delusional.

Oh, about that guy who shoots 100% in RAW and in M mode? He is also the same guy who says that every single shot he makes is wide-open. It is just beneath him to stop down, even just once. Yeah, right.
Quote:I shoot 100% Raw with my old 5D because it gives visibly better results than OOC Jpgs 

in every situation and every type of light. The Jpg-Engine of the 5D is really really weak.

So ... no nonsense , I believe.

Anyhow, you asked not to emphasise or judge the way we shoot.

And what do you do next? Insult those who shoot raw!

You do excatly what you ask the others to stop doing!

May be something to think about?

Rainer
with 5D I tend to go the same way, not because of the JPG engine but 11MP RAW files are very easy to handle on modern fast PCs, you have everything a JPG file would give, previewing, thumbnails, almost any software can open them, you have the ability to correct any errors, and converting 50RAW files to JPG is a matter of minutes
Quote: 

Oh, about that guy who shoots 100% in RAW and in M mode? He is also the same guy who says that every single shot he makes is wide-open. It is just beneath him to stop down, even just once. Yeah, right.
Obviously we don't have here a photographer  but a  gWC  (guy With Camera) who has read some parts of articles, understood in bizarre way  and who has weird conceptions, what does shooting mode have with image quality ?

I knew a worst one, he always shoots on at the smallest aperture available (All pics he shared were at f32)
Quote:  Here's a shot that I took of an egret through leaves and branches heavily cropped and PPed, I'm not claiming it's an art work or the like, but before processing it just wasn't a shot at all.

I would call the photo an art work.  A very interesting set of contrasts.  Light/dark, big/small, subtle/imposing, still/dynamic.  Also has a nice painterly quality.

I can't really address the JPEG issue because I didn't realize there was a big difference in various implementations.
     Hey thanks Arthur, it's comments like that the make the thing worthwhile......

All the very best!