Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPhone 12 Pro ...
The really disappointing aspect is that they hyped their camera system but the quality is a far cry from the Leica lens in the Huawei P40 Pro.

Just look at this image here in comparison to the pixel soup that Apple is producing there

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_40_...hp#image28

or the Asus Zenfone 7 Pro
https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_7_...hp#image24

Surprisingly neither Samsung nor Sony are overly impressive either.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
These 2 are rather impressive indeed (although I don't like the interpolation/pp going on with the Huawei image).
Their IQ is not far from MFT in fact (in good light).
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I do not like the oversharpened huawei image either. Are these wide angles comparable?
In terms of field-of-view? Is that even important? As long as they are in the same "category", it's the quality that counts - in my book at least.

(11-04-2020, 08:54 PM)Klaus Wrote: In terms of field-of-view? Is that even important? As long as they are in the same "category", it's the quality that counts - in my book at least.
How is that not important?
A poor "13mm" (12mp, Apple) or a decent "18mm" (20mp, Huawei) / "17mm" (12mp, Asus) - what would be more important?

I, for one, would prefer a 17/18mm over a 13mm in my camera bag for sure.

FWIW, the Samsung S20 Ultra seems to be Ok at 13mm:
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_...hp#image33

I'm still tempted. Less so because of the UWA camera (I rarely have use for ultra wide lenses), but because of the improvements in portrait mode, especially night portrait mode.
Editor
opticallimits.com

The Iphone 12 now pairs it's camera modules to the phone processor..... preventing repairs from independent service centers ..... 
........ even if another camera module is fitted from another Iphone 12, it will bug and will not function in many modes .....

....... so only Apple can repair it !!
Yes, but why is that a big deal? I can remember only a few occasions where I had devices (of any kind, not limited to phones) repaired by someone other than the manufacturer.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(11-08-2020, 09:09 AM)mst Wrote: Yes, but why is that a big deal? I can remember only a few occasions where I had devices (of any kind, not limited to phones) repaired by someone other than the manufacturer.

Because that means you are beholden to Apple ...... and nobody else can repair it .. ever!! ... which is exactly what they want ........

........ so Apple has got you by the short and curlies ..... (your pubic hairs)

You asked why is that a big deal ....... well I will just give one example ...... guy goes to the Apple store as his laptop's screen isn't working ..... Apple take it out the back to look and come back with a water damage estimate of between to $1,200 to $1,700 the seller recommends a new computer ....... the guy reels back and leaves the shop ..... arrives at Louis Rossman's repair- shop in NY and recounts the story .... there was no water damage .....Louis looks to find a pin bent on the screen connector plug and repairs it in two minutes .... no parts needed at no charge. 
 On it's own it's nothing, but there are "thousands of these stories" ...... basically Apple want sell you a new laptop ..... so they give a repair estimate quoting water damage so, new mother board/ screen etc. .... but really they leaning on you to buy a new computer ...... if you don't they fleece you for the repair ...... for them it's a win win situation ...... for you it's lose lose.
   Apple are not honest about in their repair strategy ........ especially about laptops ......

Now I'm sure that many here love Apple .... but I don't ...... of course if those are happy with it then fine ..... however their recent strategy of pairing parts so as to be non interchangeable is just done out of spite .. we are entering a new phase in Apple's philosophy ....... 

Well Markus you did ask !!   Smile

See here the state of Washington is requested for a "right to repair" mandate ...... some of Apple's defences are transparent ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLIW7mQ8CI4

.... As an aside ..... I think I was more wounded than you with your Leica rear screen issue .... I would have sold all my Leica gear and never spent another penny with them .... ever. ......

Lastly and with tremendous joy ...... I am absolutely delighted that Trump is out  out out  .......  

.. there's no been much good news this year ....... but this makes up for all of it !!

Now we can sit back and watch him make more of a fool of himself with more of his lies and deceits!!

Right, I think I've put the world to rights and so have the Americans!!