Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Average quality photo wins this week contest at Dpreview
(12-21-2020, 02:26 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 01:36 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 01:31 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 01:22 PM)MatjazO Wrote: Agreed, left tree(s) in the background is the reason for saying “pretty” good above. ;-)

I don't mind the tree it's natural after all ......... however, I  would have cloned out the house roof !! ..

So... In nature you can point the camera into any direction and press the shutter button to get great photos even without framing, and "it is natural after all .........." !

What the f..k are you talking about BC ....... ?? 

The guy enters the contest with his image ........ but for you the lens is not right ....... then the tree is not to your liking ...... nor my comments do not come up to your standards etc. 

... while you are throwing rotten tomatoes !! ..... he walks off with 1st prize!! 

I beginning to think you produce some of the finest photographs the world's has "never" seen BC ...... because I have yet to .....

...... I've no idea why you deprive us of all your magnificent artworks ..........guess it must be unjustified modesty.

BTW. Please don't reply to my posts unless they are addressing you specifically ....... thank you so much !!

You are being silly again, Dave. Silly to the extreme, actually. 
Yes, a guy entered a photo in a silly dpreview competition. And toni posted about it on here. So we give our opinion. So did I. And according to you, for me the lens is not right? Where did you get that from? I did not say anything about "the lens", I did note that there is strong CA on the right but not on the left, so there must be some decentering issue.

You reacted to a point about a green tree (which MatjazO referenced to), so don't be silly.

Somehow, according to your post, a natural element can't influence a composition, because ...... it is natural.
So, I indeed did reply to your indirect reply to me, poking (quite harmless?) fun at your idea about natural elements not influencing the composition.....  

Then you seem to flame my photography? Because... Dave.

And it is not as if I never have posted any images. And you sure have seen some.

Apparently everything I post here constitutes a personal attack on you. Every time I get these over the top reactions from you. It started about a year ago, I guess. Weird stuff.
If you post something I feel like responding to, of course I will.
I find it sad that an innocent competiton so quickly derails to such strong words, guys. For god’s sake, any gallery competition is subjective. There is no right or wrong, just opinions. And such as Dpreview challenge, driven by public votes, even more so.
(12-21-2020, 03:43 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 01:31 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 01:22 PM)MatjazO Wrote: Agreed, left tree(s) in the background is the reason for saying “pretty” good above. ;-)

I don't mind the tree it's natural after all ......... however, I  would have cloned out the house roof !! ..

So... In nature you can point the camera into any direction and press the shutter button to get great photos even without framing, and "it is natural after all .........." !

The guy enters the contest with his image ........ but for you the lens is not right ....... then the tree is not to your liking ...... nor my comments do not come up to your standards etc. 

... while you are throwing rotten tomatoes !! ..... he walks off with 1st prize!! 

I beginning to think you produce some of the finest photographs the world's has "never" seen BC ...... because I have yet to .....

...... I've no idea why you deprive us of all your magnificent artworks ..........guess it must be unjustified modesty.

BTW. Please don't reply to my posts unless they are addressing you specifically ....... thank you so much !!

Yes, a guy entered a photo in a silly dpreview competition. And toni posted about it on here. So we give our opinion. So did I. And according to you, for me the lens is not right? Where did you get that from? 

You reacted to a point about a green tree (which MatjazO referenced to), so don't be silly.

Somehow, according to you, a natural element can't influence a composition, because ...... it is natural.
So, I indeed did reply to your indirect reply to me, poking fun at your idea about natural elements.  

And it is not as if I never have posted any images. And you sure have seen some.

Apparently everything I post here constitutes a personal attack on you. Every time I get these over the top reactions from you. It started about a year ago, I guess. Weird stuff.

And if you post something I feel responding to, of course I will.
You wrote: 

"So... In nature you can point the camera into any direction and press the shutter button to get great photos even without framing, and "it is natural after all .........." !

.....  as someone who takes 95% of images in nature ..... I would have thought it clear by now that my pointing of the camera is of supreme importance ...... even if you think I'm wasting my time shooting wildlife in nature

so a stupid inflammatory ridicule to me ..... implying that my opinion was just frivolous and way off track ..... 

..... clearly the later responses did not see it your way ......  and my view wasn't so ridiculous as you implied ....... 

Anyway I'm out of any discussions with you ......... I think I'l go away and watch some paint dry ...... so much more relaxing ......

Bye BC ..... I'm out!!
(12-21-2020, 04:14 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 03:43 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 01:31 PM)davidmanze Wrote: I don't mind the tree it's natural after all ......... however, I  would have cloned out the house roof !! ..

Yes, a guy entered a photo in a silly dpreview competition. And toni posted about it on here. So we give our opinion. So did I. And according to you, for me the lens is not right? Where did you get that from? 

Somehow, according to you, a natural element can't influence a composition, because ...... it is natural.
So, I indeed did reply to your indirect reply to me, poking fun at your idea about natural elements.  

And if you post something I feel responding to, of course I will.
You wrote: 

"So... In nature you can point the camera into any direction and press the shutter button to get great photos even without framing, and "it is natural after all .........." !

.....  as someone who takes 95% of images in nature ..... I would have thought it clear by now that my pointing of the camera is of supreme importance ...... even if you think I'm wasting my time shooting wildlife in nature

so a stupid inflammatory ridicule to me ..... implying that my opinion was just frivolous and way off track ..... 

..... clearly the later responses did not see it your way ......  and my view wasn't so ridiculous as you implied ....... 

Anyway I'm out of any discussions with you ......... I think I'l go away and watch some paint dry ...... so much more relaxing ......

Bye BC ..... I'm out!!

No, my comment was NOT about your photography, NOT about your photos, but about your line: "I don't mind the tree it's natural after all "

Just that. My issue (and MatjazO's) with the tree on the left is that it makes a green very prominent blob at the edge of the frame, distracting from the other wise nice composition (with the main tree branches and lines, and the colours of the central tree and the sky).
So, I was poking fun at that, that you (not you as in Dave, but you as in... someone(anyone) who makes a photo) can point the camera anywhere in nature, without framing, as something natural can't detract from a composition. It was just and pun, and that is how it was intended.

So, no, it was and is not about you, your photography, your photos. Just that odd (to me) line.
In a kindergarten group, both of you would be sent to different corners of the room now Wink

Relax guys, pls...
Editor
opticallimits.com

Nikon D750 w/ 20mm f/1.8 @ f/11
ISO 800

Nice composition but maybe a little too much post-processing.

I suppose I could say something about the lens but that's not the point of the contest.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
The picture over all is very nice, but the house to the right of the tree cuts into nature/serenity mood which the picture implies on the first place.
Keep in mind that most of the voters had seen this on their high contrast cell phone screens on which the colors pop up even more and the house in the back, CAs, and noise are almost invisible.
While the picture is not what I would have chosen for various reasons when it comes to this sort of award just about any winner is going to be met with objections or criticism so why bother going down that path. Just enjoy the photo for what it is or ignore it either way there are more important things in life and photography worthy of one attention.
It just shows how meaningless these "competitions" are, and how everyone can have an opinion.
(12-29-2020, 08:40 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: It just shows how meaningless these "competitions" are, and how everyone can have an opinion.

you can also take from another point of view: we are after maximum details and perfection in image quality while nobody but us cares for this ... all depends on your target audience