Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Average quality photo wins this week contest at Dpreview
I check on Dpreview from time to time and I barely have two or three posts there, I prefer here although this forum has rather low  activity 
Seeing this week winner surprised me, he would have been roasted here had he posted this photo: 
Grainy taken at high ISO, it has outrageous CA
nevertheless it is very well composed and the low resolution version looks excellent which explains the win 

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entr...lts&Rows=4
(12-21-2020, 09:14 AM)toni-a Wrote: I check on Dpreview from time to time and I barely have two or three posts there, I prefer here although this forum has rather low  activity 
Seeing this week winner surprised me, he would have been roasted here had he posted this photo: 
Grainy taken at high ISO, it has outrageous CA
nevertheless it is very well composed and the low resolution version looks excellent which explains the win 

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entr...lts&Rows=4

It didn't surprise me  ....... it won because of the beautiful subject matter and colour ....... (the CAs look as if they were never corrected) 

It gives me hope when an winning image is chosen from the heart !
The CA on the right is huge, on the left it is not there. Odd, must be decentered in ways.
Photography is about subject, light and composition. The linked photo is pretty good at all there elements, in my opinion, so no worries here. :-)
The big worry there is that big eyesore on the left ruining the whole composition (the almost in focus, green tree/shrub) which ruins it (in being "good") for me.
Block it from your view with your fingers/hand and the whole image works much better.
Agreed, left tree(s) in the background is the reason for saying “pretty” good above. ;-)
(12-21-2020, 01:22 PM)MatjazO Wrote: Agreed, left tree(s) in the background is the reason for saying “pretty” good above. ;-)

I don't mind the tree it's natural after all ......... however, I  would have cloned out the house roof !! ..
(12-21-2020, 01:31 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 01:22 PM)MatjazO Wrote: Agreed, left tree(s) in the background is the reason for saying “pretty” good above. ;-)

I don't mind the tree it's natural after all ......... however, I  would have cloned out the house roof !! ..

So... In nature you can point the camera into any direction and press the shutter button to get great photos even without framing, and "it is natural after all .........." !
(12-21-2020, 01:17 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: The big worry there is that big eyesore on the left ruining the whole composition (the almost in focus, green tree/shrub) which ruins it (in being "good") for me.
Block it from your view with your fingers/hand and the whole image works much better.

It's a matter of taste. I find the house on the right much more distracting than the green tree on the left.
I also find the overall image too saturated.
Other than these 2 points, I really like it.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I don't find anything really wrong with the image and composition. Composition wise I actually kind of like it. If I have a beef, it's DPR's propensity to always choose images that were processed with a heavy hand. What's up with that? They always remind me of something from a dream scene in a movie.