Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report: Fujinon XF 16-80mm f/4 R OIS WR
Oh well. Wish they would make a quality general range zoom like olympus 12-120 instead of stuff like 50f1.0
It's really surprising that Fuji can't get their standard zoom lenses right. This is the first lens most will get.

To be fair - Sony also messed this up. They still don't have a decent APS-C kit lens. Not sure about FF either.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Happy New Year everyone, thanks for this review Markus, this is your present for 2021! ;-)

At 16mm it's better than I thought, but at 80mm it's quite a bit worse. These corners are abysmal. On the positive note the bokeh is pretty good which is nice. The Fuji 18-55 had good sharpness but horrid bokeh.
There was still a part of me hesitating to get this 16-80 zoom, but thanks to your review, I have no hesitations anymore. This lens sucks big time.

Now, I hope Tamron will release their new 17-70 f2.8 in X mount and hopefully Sigma will follow suit with a mirrorless version of their old 17-70 f2.8-4 which was a very nice standard zoom.

Or maybe Fuji should hire some of Canon or Sony engineers to design a proper zoom?
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(12-31-2020, 10:32 PM)Klaus Wrote: I think one has to realize what 26mp actually means here - the pixel density is equivalent to a 61mp full format sensor.
If you remember what the 5Ds R is doing to lenses, it is not surprising that "average" quality lenses fall apart on such APS-C sensors.

The "common all garden" 24 Mps APSc sensor has been a pretty ubiquitous species from many brands for some years too...... and has been running similar kit lenses through the mill .......... many lenses fared better .......
....... surely it's not that far estranged that it should excuse the distortion corrected resolution results at the borders and corners we are seeing here ...... bearing in mind it's F4 constant.