Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test - TTArtisan AF 27mm f/2.8
(10-16-2023, 01:53 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 11:46 AM)Rover Wrote: Wasn't it discontinued some time ago? It was not available in X-mount anyway.

It's discontinued long time ago, but you still can find especially on the used market, with raw material and shipping costs raising, low profit margin gear isn't a good business anymore...
Look at Canon they used to sell tons of entry level cameras and cheap kits, now they barely give any importance to this market segment
They have been ramping up quite considerably the last year, with all the APS-C bodies.

They have always first ramped up professional bodies and L-lenses prior to doing the consumer stuff. Nothing new here. And EF- and EF-S-stuff is still for sale everywhere, at least over here.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
As weird as it might sound, EFm is still very popular in Qatar....
Canon and Fiat use the same marketing strategy, Fiat makes Ferraris, people come to showroom, see the Ferrari, then get a FIAT that fits their budget....
I am not a market expert, but for Cameras entry level even with a low profit margin is vital, users used to buy their first Canon entry level DSLR along with kit lens 18-55 and " 75-300 superzoom which is better than 50-250 since it is compatible with full frame in case of upgrade" then they get hooked in the system with recurrent upgrades. Also a guy using a Canon Camera in the streets is himself an ad for Canon cameras. Also there's a marketing principle Canon is ignoring: you should do your best to avoid people going to your competitors....if they don't buy Canon they will buy Nikon or Sony then become customers of the competitor company... in the entry segments it's not the profit per camera sold and number of cameras sold that matter
I quite liked EF-M ( and Nikon 1 ) but I suppose maintaining 2 different mounts is no longer sustainable. Panasonic is surely feeling this at the moment.

Conversely, RF-S lenses look weird on the super-sized R-mount.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
That's because RF-S lenses are being made deliberately small (and lousy, at least on the outside). I guess Canon definitely doesn't want anyone to stay with RF-S for very long before switching to the better (and more $$$) full-frame lenses, and presumably cameras. Case in point: the leaked 10-18/4.5-6.3 lens, versus the quite good and proportional looking 11-22/4-5.6, which, while by no means a harbinger of light, seemed like a better balanced effort.

That's why I'm not holding my breath for any RF-S gear that is not absolutely low-end. There were photos around of the 22/2 STM pancake in RF-S guise, but nothing became of it just yet, although re-engineering it into an RF-S lens would've been a no-brainer (and not much effort). The 32/1.4... let's just say it would be a pity to see a decent lens like that go to waste in the end. To think that once Canon did give us things like the 17-55/2.8 IS...
(10-18-2023, 08:24 AM)Rover Wrote:  To think that once Canon did give us things like the 17-55/2.8 IS.
You are hitting here a very sensitive point for me....
EFS 17-55f2.8 is absolutely the lens I enjoyed using most and that gave me plenty of keepers, it kept me away from full frame for years. My daughter dropped it and I had it serviced and repaired recently 
On EOSRP it's only 10 megapixel but that's fair enough for shooting kids in the park and the like, despite everything I still use it and love it.
Only con is its autofocus on bodies like 7Dmkii, very frequent focus errors despite having its autofocus adjusted at Canon and doing micro AF adjustments knowing I was happy with 750D, main reason to get 7D2 is micro AF adjustment function it has, specifically to be able to use 7Dmkii on it.
Hadn't Canon made this lens. I might have jumped boats or shifted to Canon full frames years before I did
Now the 27/2.8 is available in YELLOW.
I think it's a first.
https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/yes-tta...ount-lens/