Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for a reliable RAID 4x enclosure (Fantec?)
Ah, ok. Sounds good!

Kind regards, Wim

(01-21-2021, 03:41 PM)stoppingdown Wrote: Actually I need a DAS and I will make a NAS by attaching it to the Raspberry.

(01-21-2021, 06:03 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Why RAID? Do you plan to buy enough spare compatible disks to replace those that fail in the RAID to keep it healthy? Or are there RAID solutions now that do not really care what kind of disk you use (size and type wise) to  replace a failed drive?
Or what if in a few years the controller fails.. Who will rescue the raid disks?

RAID is absolutely worth it. There is a reason why it is used so often in datacenters.

Whether you can mix and match drives, actually depends on the raid controller, and with pro motherboards that has become a standard anyway over the past 5 years or so. With RAID you do not have to use the same drives, but if you do, you are limited to the specifications of the smallest drive, generally speaking.
If you do use a variety of drives, you do need to mix and match with the same type of drive, however, as spinning drives and SSDs combined in a single RAID will obviously slow down the RAID to the slowest drive in the setup.

Personally, I use sets of 4 of the same drives for each individual RAID setup.
Additonal spare drives are used for backup, in a traditional round robin setup, so in case of emergency any of those can normally be used. Spare drives you buy ideally at the same time as for your drive array.
And good data management is of the utmost of course. If drives are no longer availabel for replacement, it means you need to create a back-up on another RAID asap, or make sure your backup is fiully working, and create a RAID from your backup.

BTW, even for my website I have two separate RAIDs, and two different, complete backup mechanisms. Overkill is always better when it comes to important data.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestion for a reliable RAID 4x enclosure (Fantec?) - by wim - 01-21-2021, 08:48 PM