Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony A1 is official
(01-27-2021, 09:08 AM)davidmanze Wrote: for a do it all camera that's not not likely to go out of date!

"not likely to go out of date" --> rather unlikely: tech is getting out of date quicker and quicker ;-)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(01-27-2021, 09:08 AM)davidmanze Wrote:    Sadly the body size stays the same ........... the key points are the frame rate in ES and the refresh rate (240 fps) with a 1.5X increase in sensor readout speed ...... ie. tracking fast objects will be closer to real time ......

......... giving an experience more akin to an OVF ........ yay!

......... Sony unfortunately are limited with that their mount which is small for a FF MLC ..... limiting the Ibis's ability for movement ...... hence they implement slight crop for their super stable movie  modes (cropping out the dark corners) ...... maybe one day that mount will come back to haunt them?

All in all it's a massive upgrade in every department ..... ....

Some are complaining at the price ....... I think it's reasonable for a do it all camera that's not not likely to go out of date!

You are probably right about the IBIS being limited by the very narrow mount. But especially in the video IBIS implementation Sony probably could improve things with better algorithms? The difference with the R6 and R5's IBIS is night and day, at least in video. Also Nikon appears to do a better IBIS than Sony with IBIS + OSS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKKaw7B3LVU

I don't know if I can see a difference between 120Hz and 240Zz refresh rate with OVFs, I would have to try that. I do know that I have little issue with the (lower) refresh rate of my MacBook Air or even EOS M (back LCD), but with EVFs I find earlier Sony EVFs unusable, and even find the few 60fps EVFs I have looked through "restless". I have not tried to look through an EOS R5 120 FPS EVF yet (due to corona).
I do see that the high EVF refresh rate setting (240Hz)of the A1 lowers the EVF resolution to the R5 and A7R IV EVF resolution, similar to what that A7R IV does when set to its high (100Hz) setting.

I do find the price a bit high, compared to a Canon 1D X mk III, Nikon D6 (those have expensive bodies, expensive OVFs/prisms, expensive PD AF sensors/optics/electronics/mirror assemblies) and Canon EOS R5 and Sony A7R IV. I find the price of this Sony A1 a steal though, compared to a Leica SL2-S Wink
(01-27-2021, 09:29 AM)thxbb12 Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 09:08 AM)davidmanze Wrote: for a do it all camera that's not not likely to go out of date!

"not likely to go out of date" --> rather unlikely: tech is getting out of date quicker and quicker ;-)

It's Sony's personal tech which will take a few years to equal ........... and it doesn't come cheap .......

I suppose 30 fps will eventually seem pedestrian  ..... or perhaps the colour black will go out of fashion ...... Smile

(01-27-2021, 10:09 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 09:08 AM)davidmanze Wrote:    Sadly the body size stays the same ........... the key points are the frame rate in ES and the refresh rate (240 fps) with a 1.5X increase in sensor readout speed ...... ie. tracking fast objects will be closer to real time ......

......... giving an experience more akin to an OVF ........ yay!

......... Sony unfortunately are limited with their mount which is small for a FF MLC ..... limiting the Ibis's ability for movement ...... hence they implement slight crop for their super stable movie  modes (cropping out the dark corners) ...... maybe one day that mount will come back to haunt them?

All in all it's a massive upgrade in every department ..... ....

Some are complaining at the price ....... I think it's reasonable for a do it all camera that's not not likely to go out of date!

You are probably right about the IBIS being limited by the very narrow mount. But especially in the video IBIS implementation Sony probably could improve things with better algorithms? The difference with the R6 and R5's IBIS is night and day, at least in video. Also Nikon appears to do a better IBIS than Sony with IBIS + OSS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKKaw7B3LVU

I don't know if I can see a difference between 120Hz and 240Zz refresh rate with OVFs, I would have to try that. I do know that I have little issue with the (lower) refresh rate of my MacBook Air or even EOS M (back LCD), but with EVFs I find earlier Sony EVFs unusable, and even find the few 60fps EVFs I have looked through "restless". I have not tried to look through an EOS R5 120 FPS EVF yet (due to corona).
I do see that the high EVF refresh rate setting (240Hz)of the A1 lowers the EVF resolution to the R5 and A7R IV EVF resolution, similar to what that A7R IV does when set to its high (100Hz) setting.

I do find the price a bit high, compared to a Canon 1D X mk III, Nikon D6 (those have expensive bodies, expensive OVFs/prisms, expensive PD AF sensors/optics/electronics/mirror assemblies) and Canon EOS R5 and Sony A7R IV. I find the price of this Sony A1 a steal though, compared to a Leica SL2-S Wink

I don't think algorithms will save the corners of the image ....... Sony is forced to crop ..... no thoughts of ibis in those days ....their mount is a physical limitation ......

Visually you won't see much difference between 120/240 fps .......  it's not there just for smoother motion but for fast moving subjects such as BIF/ fast sports ....... coupled with with a higher read out speed using ES, the subject should be more or less in the same place in the taken image as when you panned  it in the EVF ......... for the same reason Canon's sports camera will be using global shutter ... (and probably the same refresh rate)

....... btw, apparently the R5 only uses 5.6 million dots when reviewing images in the EVF ......... and drops down when shooting ......... ( stated by Chris Nichols DP review) ........... which is why I was puzzling over why Nikon's EVF got as much praise as it did being a lower rez display.

....... when sports shooting in high speed mode at 240 refresh fps with a 600mm + TC frankly I doubt if you visibly see the drop in EVF rez ........everything will be whizzing past so fast ........ but it's there for astro, portrait and landscape.

Leica yes ...... still using one focus point only in their MF range ....... you still have to focus / recompose ......... Smile

....... in terms of expense the major one of course is R+D plus a few latest chips not forgetting heat dissipation components Smile ...... buy a QXD 240 Gb memory card for instance .... makes a OVF prism look like a bargain .....
Well, one notable thing about this camera, is it is for practically everything, from sports to landscape, it seems also good for wildlife and portraits.
Sony have made a professional do it all camera, they also made a 4K OLED monitor plus 5G transmitter for it. Along with the experia pro phone it costs around 8-9.000$ without lenses....
(01-31-2021, 01:11 PM)toni-a Wrote: Well, one notable thing about this camera, is it is for practically everything, from sports to landscape, it seems also good for wildlife and portraits.

Canon's EOS R5 does "everything" too, from sports to landscape, wildlife and portraits, for significantly less.
(01-31-2021, 02:36 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 01:11 PM)toni-a Wrote: Well, one notable thing about this camera, is it is for practically everything, from sports to landscape, it seems also good for wildlife and portraits.

Canon's EOS R5 does "everything" too, from sports to landscape, wildlife and portraits, for significantly less.

Yes, but at least on paper Sony has a slight edge in sports 30 vs 20fps (both electronic shutter mode) and a better EVF, i it worth it ??? can't say, If I were buying I would go for R5and spare 2000$ others have other opinions
(01-31-2021, 09:02 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 02:36 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:

Yes, but at least on paper Sony has a slight edge in sports 30 vs 20fps (both electronic shutter mode) and a better EVF, i it worth it ??? can't say, If I were buying I would go for R5and spare 2000$ others have other opinions
Well, the first test is out, and apparently AF is not as good as the EOS R5. Tracking with AF is equal, but with every other option the EOS R5 is better. And the Sony does manage 29 fps when used with still images, but with tracking on, or with telephoto lenses, with or without teleconverter, it manages only 15 fps, while the Canon always manages 20 fps. So, from that PoV the Canon R5 appears to be better.
It is very good with rolling shutter, however, apparently there is none, so it beats the Canon here.

Anyway, if you want to see, or rather hear, the results, check out Tony Northrup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvGnZTIpOVs

HTH, kind regards, WIm

P.S.: 8K overheating is an issue: standard mode shut down after 16 minutes.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I watched that review ........ I was surprised by the eye-detect focusing on the lashes .... the feature should be called "eyeball detect"!! ...then Sony would be forced into getting it right ...... (Nikon got it right second time)
... the rear screen is small with only moderate resolution .... perhaps Sony thinks with a 9.6 million dot EVF a 3" 1.4 MD  rear screen will do? ......

EVF is great getting only praise ....... super low rolling shutter ..... 

Sony will have to roll out new FWs to address the AF issues if it wants to sell many, pros won't be tolerating missed focus shots with a body at this price ...... focus hunting with the Sony 600mm F4 ....... $20,000 dollars the kit ...... and it misses 50% ??

School marks/remarks:   a very reasoned 7/10 ........... should do better!! ....... Smile
So, better battery life, probably better weather sealing and even less rolling shutter than the R5, for only $2600 more. Worse AF, worse touch screen / UI / ergonomics / screen articulation, worse IBIS/IS especially with video, worse video AF and more native lenses for the mount for free.
the camera hasn't hit the market yet ........ so I would imagine that Sony are soaking up all the comments from testers and setting about rectifying them ....... 

...... Canon didn't waste much time bringing out FWs for their overheating management issues ....

...... it won't change the price though .........