Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony A1 is official
Well Dave,

Sony A cameras have been criticised for ergonomics issues since the beginning, including (touch) interface implementations. Only since this A1 they finally have developed and delivered a lossless compressed RAW format, which took them how long? A decade? So personally I would not imagine big changes soon...

Impressive camera, but for that pesky R5 (and even in areas the Z7).
(02-01-2021, 04:44 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Well Dave,

Sony A cameras have been criticised for ergonomics issues since the beginning, including (touch) interface implementations. Only since this A1 they finally have developed and delivered a lossless compressed RAW format, which took them how long? A decade? So personally I would not imagine big changes soon...

Impressive camera, but for that pesky R5 (and even in areas the Z7).
I'm not a fan of their small bodies either although many like them ...... I think the point is here ....... we are not judging the finished product ..... 
...... today's ML cameras are basically computers with the ability to do what the FWs specify .. what is important however is the hardware, ie the EVF /processor rapidity are well and truly up to the job ...... hardware dictates the camera's limits ...... and on that standpoint, more can be achieved .....
Their EVF has broken bounds, which is what I wanted to see, super fast, detailed and big ..... the rear screen is a bit of an insult at the camera's price point, 3" 1.4 MD is poor .... when you get a 3.2 2.36 MD on a  D500 for $1,500 ...... that screen is fabulous ..... 

As we know Sony takes the spec list route .... but specs don't tell the full story as can be seen here  ......... ....... yet!!

I still think that lens mount will come back to haunt them ...... not only for wide aperture glass but for the IBIS .... after Nikon's poor decision to keep the F mount ...... they didn't hesitate to change to the larger Z mount.
A lot more to do!

What camera are you shooting with these days out of interest BC ??
(02-01-2021, 05:32 PM)davidmanze Wrote:     What camera are you shooting with these days out of interest BC ??

The 6D still, Dave.
(02-03-2021, 10:47 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 05:32 PM)davidmanze Wrote:     What camera are you shooting with these days out of interest BC ??

The 6D still, Dave.

frankly I think sticking to 6D is not a bad idea, I am using Sony A6000, Canon 750D, 7D2, 5D classic and EOS RP I even reused my good old 30D this week, however even this year I printed more pictures taken with 5 D classic than any other camera, the colors are simply superior, I am considering getting BP511 batteries and getting back reusing it, for skin tones, it is still the best
(02-03-2021, 12:39 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 10:47 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:

The 6D still, Dave.

frankly I think sticking to 6D is not  a bad idea, I am using Sony A6000, Canon 750D, 7D2, 5D classic and EOS RP  I even reused my good old 30D this week, however even this year I printed more pictures taken with 5 D classic than any other camera, the colors are simply superior, I am considering getting BP511 batteries and getting back reusing it, for skin tones, it is still the best

Why would it matter if you shoot raw?
You can do whatever you please with the colors...
--Florent

Flickr gallery
You can push some sliders to make differences or to something you think "I like that better", sure... But it is pretty hard to get all colours, tonal curves to look the same from very different cameras, or different RAW converters.
(02-03-2021, 12:53 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Why would it matter if you shoot raw?

I always shoot RAW, I tried several times,my experience confirms what BC said: impossible to get exactly the same colors from different cameras.
(02-03-2021, 04:28 PM)toni-a Wrote:

I always shoot RAW, I tried several times,my experience confirms what BC said: impossible to get exactly the same colors from different cameras.
You can get very close, actually, with the aid of soem tools, like these:
https://www.xrite.com/categories/calibra...rt-photo-2

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Using CLUT (color lookup tables) (http://www.quelsolaar.com/technology/clut.html) and tonal curves, it would be possible to get pretty much the same output on various cameras.
However, it would indeed require patience.
In RawTherapee for instance you can use your own CLUT.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(02-03-2021, 05:52 PM)wim Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 04:28 PM)toni-a Wrote:

You can get very close, actually, with the aid of soem tools, like these:
https://www.xrite.com/categories/calibra...rt-photo-2

HTH, kind regards, Wim

That is not a usable solution. It is fine when you want to set a custom WB or something, but you don't want a colorchecker in every image you shoot outdoors, or next to your macro bug subject, do you? Nor will such a colorchecker give you the look you might love from a certain specific camera (Like Toni's 5D) or certain RAW converter (like my DPP).

(02-03-2021, 11:25 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Using CLUT (color lookup tables) (http://www.quelsolaar.com/technology/clut.html) and tonal curves, it would be possible to get pretty much the same output on various cameras.
However, it would indeed require patience.
In RawTherapee for instance you can use your own CLUT.

And how would you go about creating that "5D clut" and tonal curves to use with your lets say Fuji X-T3?