Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously Canon?
It's the kind of questionable AF consistency usually associated (in the Internet-speak at least) with the Sigma lenses. I have to admit that I abuse my 24 pretty badly - like I do with all fast primes - by employing them in the very difficult lighting conditions. Still, the Tamrons 45mm and 85mm are more consistent than the Sigma 14mm and Canon 24mm in my opinion, although these two are not outright bad - they just go off the deep end sometimes, rather unpredictably. Smile

Still it was mighty fun shooting the celebrations of the Buddhist New Year last night with 2 cameras and these 4 primes. Smile I might have looked like a prime-snob though. Smile
(02-11-2021, 12:01 PM)Rover Wrote: It's the kind of questionable AF consistency usually associated (in the Internet-speak at least) with the Sigma lenses. I have to admit that I abuse my 24 pretty badly - like I do with all fast primes - by employing them in the very difficult lighting conditions. Still, the Tamrons 45mm and 85mm are more consistent than the Sigma 14mm and Canon 24mm in my opinion, although these two are not outright bad - they just go off the deep end sometimes, rather unpredictably. Smile

Still it was mighty fun shooting the celebrations of the Buddhist New Year last night with 2 cameras and these 4 primes. Smile I might have looked like a prime-snob though. Smile

Impossible! Smile
There is no such things as a prime snob, except when shooting with fast Leica primes Smile
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(02-11-2021, 08:16 PM)wim Wrote: There is no such things as a prime snob
If there is such a thing as a prime snob, it follows there must also be such a thing as a zoom slouch :-)
(02-11-2021, 08:16 PM)wim Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 12:01 PM)Rover Wrote: It's the kind of questionable AF consistency usually associated (in the Internet-speak at least) with the Sigma lenses. I have to admit that I abuse my 24 pretty badly - like I do with all fast primes - by employing them in the very difficult lighting conditions. Still, the Tamrons 45mm and 85mm are more consistent than the Sigma 14mm and Canon 24mm in my opinion, although these two are not outright bad - they just go off the deep end sometimes, rather unpredictably. Smile

Impossible! Smile
There is no such things as a prime snob, except when shooting with fast Leica primes Smile
Yeah, and someone as... spirited would probably never be caught alive using an APS-C camera, it'd be a sacrilege. Big Grin
(02-12-2021, 07:45 AM)Rover Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 08:16 PM)wim Wrote:

Impossible! Smile
Yeah, and someone as... spirited would probably never be caught alive using an APS-C camera, it'd be a sacrilege. Big Grin
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leicam8 ....
Oh, a review by Phil Askey. Smile But it's been awhile and it was a stopgap model before M9 and all the stuff that followed, anyway. Maybe Markus has things to say about it.

Besides, it wasn't APS-C anyway, right? Smile
(02-12-2021, 10:58 AM)Rover Wrote: Oh, a review by Phil Askey. Smile But it's been awhile and it was a stopgap model before M9 and all the stuff that followed, anyway. Maybe Markus has things to say about it.

Yes, you are right Wink
(02-12-2021, 11:14 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 10:58 AM)Rover Wrote: Oh, a review by Phil Askey. Smile But it's been awhile and it was a stopgap model before M9 and all the stuff that followed, anyway. Maybe Markus has things to say about it.

Yes, you are right Wink

But there was also the Epson R-D1! Big Grin
(02-12-2021, 03:01 PM)Rover Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 11:14 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:

Yes, you are right Wink

But there was also the Epson R-D1! Big Grin
And R-D1s, R-D1x(G), and Pixii SAS' Pixii :O
The latter is interesting - overpriced of course but interesting as a dark horse.
It's mostly not for me, of course, but after all I'm reading all the reviews here, even those other than Canon EF - just for curiosity.