Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony FE 50mm f1.2 GM
Sony strikes again with a 50mm f1.2 this time.

I'm impressed at how light and compact it is. Compared to its peers (width x length):
  • Sony 50mm f1.2 GM: 87 x 108, 778g, 2000 USD
  • Canon RF 50mm f1.2: 89.8 x 108, 950g, 2300 USD
  • Nikon Z 50mm f1.2: 89.5 x 150, 1090g, 2100 USD
The Nikkor is HUGE and a bit more expensive.
The Canon is quite similar in size but heavier and quite a bit more expensive.

From the gallery on dpreview, the lens is sharp wide-open with good bokeh.

With Nikon's massive PR about how a larger mount can provide better optical engineering freedom, I have to say that Sony and their "tiny" mount are doing pretty well.
All in all, I'd take Sony lenses any time over their Nikkor counterparts.
The former are smaller, lighter and optically as good (or if there is a difference, it's not significant).

And lenstip confirms the excellent image quality:

https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=o...est_ob=601

Very impressive indeed!
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Interestingly enough neither of the Sony ZA 50/1.4 lenses - for either A or E mount - have been tested here. But I hope at least the E mount one will be tested someday, and this GM too. Smile
The next E-mount tests will be about the 35mm f/1.8 and 16-55m f/2.8 G

But yes, it's funny that Sony can easily match those bigger lenses by CaNikon. It'll be exciting to see their next-gen lenses of the existing ones. Seems as if they found a recipe for making lenses smaller while improving performance.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Couple of observations from my side

First, the Sony 50/1.2 breathes like a dragon, and the Nikkor is the best compensated lens in this regard. Not a straight-forward thing that you can improve with ED glass, because Physics. That compensation usually requires extra glass and a second set of motors. More glass, more weight.

Lenstip also reports some astigmatism, which can be seen as the discrepancy in resolution between center and corners. Plus, in some cases, the defocused image of complex objects around the edges of the frame IMHO are not that smooth either, if you look at DPreview's gallery. Somehow reminds me of how Sigma Art 35/1.4 renders OOF in the outer frame.

I'm interested to see LensTip's analysis on Nikkor 50/1.2 - that will answer the ultimate question whether the extra glass brings anything on the table, apart from focus breathing. Spatial separation is also quite interesting with this lens.
You just can't have too many lenses...
The Canon RF 50mm f1.2 L focus breaths in the same fashion/amount as this Sony, both a bit more maybe than when focal length remains the same. The Nikkor decreases focal length towards MFD to keep the FOV constant.