Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another disappointment with Sony:software
Quote:A classic example of vendor lock-in.

If one sticks to a camera manufacturer's converter, then they a screwed if they switch systems or use other brands.

Much better to have choices and the same workflow regardless of the brand.

Well Canon way is a very ethical and efficient way to keep their customers: They offer you free software that works only on their products.

It's like a special offer with every Canon camera you buy (new or used) you have a free software bundle. Without any monopole plenty of alternatives out there.

For me it works, I am missing DPP and zoombrowzer..
(05-16-2021, 12:43 PM)xwavethree Wrote: If one sticks to a camera manufacturer's converter, then they a screwed if they switch systems or use other brands.

Absolutely, this is why it's a very bad idea.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(02-16-2018, 06:41 AM)Klaus Wrote: I'm surprised that there's someone (Toni!) using software that is supplied by the manufacturer.

Most of the CDs in my camera boxes are still sealed.  Big Grin

Me too. I was pissed off by Nikon software in 2003 and since then never looked at manufacturers' software. Not only I was not pleased by features, but quality was very bad. It seems that as they might be good in making hardware and firmware, they aren't in making "regular" software (which puzzles me, because I believe they outsource regular software development. Or they should).
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
I am a happy user of Canon's DPP too.
It seems Canon DPP is much better than other camera manufacturers software.
Let's not forget that capture one is the manufacturer's software for phase one cameras...
I tried software that came with other cameras I bought (olympus, fuji and Sony) Canon is miles ahead
Canon DPP skin tones are excellent and you will find plenty of Canon users using it