Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumour: Canon working on an RF 60mm f1.0 lens.
No further info on it, so no idea about the validity of this rumour.
It would be a direct competitor to the Nikkor Z 58mm f0.95 (58mm f0.95 has a 61mm apparent aperture).
58 and 60mm are weird focal lengths IMO.
50mm or 75-85mm would make more sense.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
If it's all true...
It's plausible that they wanted something sufficiently different from the 50/1.2 so that the sales of that lens are not impacted (remember, it's Canon: they fear cannibalizing their own sales more than anything). Of course an f/1.0 lens is a whole different level of challenge even compared to an f/1.2 one - after all it's 1/2 to 2/3 stop faster yet - but since they were able to create ultrasharp 50/1.2 and 85/1.2, I have no doubt they'll pull off a good 60/1.0 too. Smile

BTW 58mm would've sounded better to me as I like that number more, but I guess they wanted to avoid being accused of trying to imitate Nikon with their 58/0.95...
...If it's all true, that is.
(05-07-2021, 08:43 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: 58 and 60mm are weird focal lengths IMO.
50mm or 75-85mm would make more sense.

While weird, they have a history (in the early SLR days it was easier (with the knowledge available) to make a 58mm fast lens (1.2) than 50mm), and are not that different from 50/55mm so not thaaat odd to use. 

I think that 75mm is a "weirder" FOV, and 85mm f1 will be quite a lot bigger, heavier, more expensive and even more shallow DOF....

Maybe it is just wishful thinking from a rumour maker, and 60mm is based on the 58mm from Nikon. Time will tell.
Who knows, maybe it'll be real, maybe joining the Nikon 10-18/4 (that Ken Rockwell is still waiting for, 12 years later) and the RF 16-28/2 in the Unicornland. Smile
I am sure this is simply a rumor, what's the point ?? 60mm is in the middle of nowhere, even if it's f1.0 85f1.2 should have shallower DOF, it's a fraction fstop slower than Nikon 58mmf0.95
and the direct competitor ? canon 50mm f1.2, they always fear cannibalization of the sales of other products, so simply I don't find a reason why they should make one
The point is that the Canon EF 50mm f1.0 USM was the best halo lens Canon had for its EF system (next to the 200mm f1.8). So why can't an RF 60mm f1.0 fulfil the same role? Especially when it is lighter and smaller than Nikon's offering, does AF.
Canon has always pushed boundaries with exotic lenses. That is not about to stop.
we are all guessing, and Canon final aim is making money,they already have 85f1.2 28-70f2.0 and upcoming crazy tilt and shift for showing their muscles, how many (that were not going to buy 50f1.2) are willing to get 60f1.0 ?
you might be right of course, but that's my guessing
(05-07-2021, 10:20 AM)Rover Wrote: Who knows, maybe it'll be real, maybe joining the Nikon 10-18/4 (that Ken Rockwell is still waiting for, 12 years later) and the RF 16-28/2 in the Unicornland. Smile

Actually, that was the RF 14-28 F/2 .... Smile.

I think the 60 F/1.2 was one of the large aperture patents Canon registered, together with a bunch of other ones.

Apart from that, Canon has been registering patents for quite a bunch of weird lenses over the years. It does look like a 135 F/1.4L is coming however.

There are a few F/1.8 patents as well, for 20 mm and 24 mm. Those are likely not to appear, as the rear element to sensor distance is around 12 mm, which is 8 mm less than the current flange to sensor distance.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I'm not a fan of the 58 mm focal length either ....... however, when the aperture gets very large as in the Nikkor 58mm F0.95 S ...... 

........ all of a sudden it makes sense .. a phenomenal lens that Nikkor ..... !!

...... the AF-S 58mm F1.4G is known for it's great rendition and is one of Nikon favourite portrait lenses although it's optical quality is nothing special ......

........  unfortunately Nikon's AF-S 85mm F1.4 portrait lens is at it's weakest at portrait distances .......