Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viltrox AF lenses for Z mount
Well, the 18-140 has been on the roadmap for a while and as the rumor mills suggests, will likely be postponed further due to priority on the Z9 (and likely some high end Z lenses) for now.

On the other hand: DX has likely become a niche market, at least in the Nikon mirrorless line. And from what I see, DX cameras usually sell to those who either really want an as small as possible camera with preferrably just one lens (maximum 2), and for those the Z50 (and maybe even more so the rumored Z30) will do the job). Or to those who want a portable camera as a second body next to a FX camera. The latter typically prefer FX lenses, since they can be used on both cameras and rarely invest into special purpose DX lenses (like for example DX macro primes).

(05-18-2021, 11:55 AM)davidmanze Wrote: btw... the generic DX term.

Nitpicking: there is no "generic DX term" Wink DX is a Nikon trademark for lenses designed for cameras with an APS-C sized sensor.
Editor
opticallimits.com

Well, a DX (or any APS-C) camera really begs for a dedicated ultrawide lens, because using full-frame ultrawides is usually not super efficient (sincerely yours, Captain Obvious). Or preferably two: one cheap and one more upscale, similar to how Canon EF-S users had a choice between the 10-18 (bottom feeder, plastic mount...) and the more posh 10-22.
(05-18-2021, 01:43 PM)Rover Wrote: Well, a DX (or any APS-C) camera really begs for a dedicated ultrawide lens, because using full-frame ultrawides is usually not super efficient (sincerely yours, Captain Obvious). Or preferably two: one cheap and one more upscale, similar to how Canon EF-S users had a choice between the 10-18 (bottom feeder, plastic mount...) and the more posh 10-22.

In APS-C mirrorless, Fuji has quite a few nice UWA lenses (mostly the first 3 I'd say):
  • Fuji 14mm f2.8
  • Fuji 10-24 f4
  • Fuji 8-16 f2.8
  • Zeiss 12mm f2.8
  • Laowa 9mm f2.8
  • Samyang 12mm f2
For travel, the 10-24 WR f4 is probably the most interesting proposition.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(05-18-2021, 12:28 PM)mst Wrote: Well, the 18-140 has been on the roadmap for a while and as the rumor mills suggests, will likely be postponed further due to priority on the Z9 (and likely some high end Z lenses) for now.

On the other hand: DX has likely become a niche market, at least in the Nikon mirror-less line. And from what I see, DX cameras usually sell to those who either really want ......

........ "as small a camera as possible " 
                                                ....... with preferably just one lens (maximum 2), and for those the Z50 (and maybe even more so the rumored Z30) will do the job). Or to those who want a portable camera as a second body next to a FX camera. The latter typically prefer FX lenses, since they can be used on both cameras and rarely invest into special purpose DX lenses (like for example DX macro primes).

(05-18-2021, 11:55 AM)davidmanze Wrote: btw... the generic DX term.

Nitpicking: there is no "generic DX term" Wink DX is a Nikon trademark for lenses designed for cameras with an APS-C sized sensor.

No get away Markus your kidding !!........ did I say generic ...... silly me ........ of course I meant ......  genital ...... Smile

Don't forget what keeps the D500 as one of Nikon's best selling DX bodies  ......... reach for birders  ........ all done with FF glass to boot !!
(05-18-2021, 02:46 PM)davidmanze Wrote:  No get away Marcus your kidding !!........ did I say generic ...... silly me ........ of course I meant ......  genital ...... Smile

Oh, well, of course... how could I NOT see that Wink

(05-18-2021, 02:46 PM)davidmanze Wrote:   Don't forget what keeps the D500 as one of Nikon's best selling DX bodies  ......... reach for birders  ........ all done with FF glass to boot !!

Well, yes... certainly don't forget that, for sure, I loved the D500 for that reason. But how many of the D500 owners have used it with dedicated DX lenses? A minority, I'm pretty sure.

(05-18-2021, 01:43 PM)Rover Wrote: Well, a DX (or any APS-C) camera really begs for a dedicated ultrawide lens, because using full-frame ultrawides is usually not super efficient (sincerely yours, Captain Obvious).

Not so sure, to be honest. It seems to me that Z DX currently is meant to drag new customers into the system and at some later point hopefully make them upgrade to FX.

With a well equipped system like Fuji XF around, I don't see how Z DX could be an option at all for anyone seriously interested in an APS-C-only solution.
Editor
opticallimits.com

If I had gone to Fuji, I would not have fretted about not having an "upgrade" path to FF, but getting there in the first place would have required considerable expenditures and selling all of my extant gear for peanuts. I was not intending to go FF with my Canon crop system, anyway, but then Canon pulled the rug from under me regardless.

If Nikon's Z/DX system remains so rudimentary, of course, it would make little long term sense. They might just as well not have bothered at all.
(05-18-2021, 02:58 PM)mst Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 01:43 PM)Rover Wrote: Well, a DX (or any APS-C) camera really begs for a dedicated ultrawide lens, because using full-frame ultrawides is usually not super efficient (sincerely yours, Captain Obvious).

Not so sure, to be honest. It seems to me that Z DX currently is meant to drag new customers into the system and at some later point hopefully make them upgrade to FX.

With a well equipped system like Fuji XF around, I don't see how Z DX could be an option at all for anyone seriously interested in an APS-C-only solution.

"..Z DX currently is meant to drag new customers into the system and at some later point hopefully make them upgrade to FX."
So those users do not buy a Z50 with FF in (future) mind, but rather to get an APS-C camera. Those users by definition are interested in a APS-C only solution at the point of choosing which camera to get.
So... they would go to Fuji to begin with?
Well, yeah, that wasn't well phrased from my side Wink

From Nikon's point of view, offering a DX entry level solution might tie users to the brand (with the upgrade path to FX).

From a potential buyer's perspective, that still doesn't make Z DX in any way an attractive system (except as 2nd camera next to Z FX).
Editor
opticallimits.com

(05-18-2021, 06:43 PM)mst Wrote: Well, yeah, that wasn't well phrased from my side Wink

From Nikon's point of view, offering a DX entry level solution might tie users to the brand (with the upgrade path to FX).

From a potential buyer's perspective, that still doesn't make Z DX in any way an attractive system (except as 2nd camera next to Z FX).

The lack of IBIS in the Z50 was a shortcoming too ........ both (ha ha) ..  of the lenses are stabilized ... but not Z primes ...... TPMs (when they arrive) won't be fitting OIS either ....

it's a stand alone kit lens camera with good IQ that can't step out it's limited sphere ....... but as they say ..... 
                                    ....... it's there !!
Lack of IBIS in the Z50 is an example of why the DX Z subsystem is so lackluster in my opinion. IBIS is a great advantage (also as in a trump card in the brand competition) so omitting it is pretty inexplicable.