Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7artisans 60mm f2.8 macro
Hello everyone,

I wrote a quick review of the 7artisans 60mm f2.8 macro here in you're interested: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65168680

I also included 7 full resolution shots if you want to gauge the IQ.

I tested the lens in Fuji mount, but everything (almost) I wrote applies to other versions of the lens of course.

For the price (~$160), it's a fantastic value :-)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Florent, this is very nice!
Thank you for sharing!
Unbelievable for that price ........ looks really good !!
I don't like how it renders... Not my choice for the focal length for dedicated close up lens.
Thanks Florent!
Pretty nice lens and a fantastic price.
(05-25-2021, 10:55 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: I don't like how it renders... Not my choice for the focal length for dedicated close up lens.

Canon's announced a super compact mirror 1.1  macro lens with the same 60mm FL and aperture with AF and IS for half the price of the 7 artisans version ....... weighs 50 gms and is 3 cms long ....... 

apparently the bokeh is spectacular .......... doughnuts a gogo !!

....... should suit you down to the ground BC ! .......... 

(sorry I couldn't resist that one ...... Smile ........ )
(05-26-2021, 09:51 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(05-25-2021, 10:55 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: I don't like how it renders... Not my choice for the focal length for dedicated close up lens.

Canon's announced a super compact mirror 1.1  macro lens with the same 60mm FL and aperture with AF and IS for half the price of the 7 artisans version ....... weighs 50 gms and is 3 cms long ....... 

apparently the bokeh is spectacular  .......... doughnuts a gogo !!

(sorry I couldn't resist that one ...... Smile  ........ )
Haha, thanks. I somehow have missed the rumours about that 60mm mirror macro lens, I am already excited! Especially if it is an APS-C lens, of course!

But what I dislike is the somewhat smeared quality as soon as it gets blurry in the background, combined with the double lines it produces in these images.
My 55mm Nikkor does have an outlining issue that results in some double lining stuff, but that ancient little lens does not smear like this one appears to do.
My Tamron AF 90mm f2.8 Di Macro also renders nicer (although it does have its peculiarities rendering-wise, like a weird type os "smearing"), similar FOV on FF.
And my quirky Ultra Micro Nikkor 55mm f2 is in a totally different league in every sense.
(05-26-2021, 11:35 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(05-26-2021, 09:51 AM)davidmanze Wrote:

apparently the bokeh is spectacular  .......... doughnuts a gogo !!

(sorry I couldn't resist that one ...... Smile  ........ )
Haha, thanks. I somehow have missed the rumours about that 60mm mirror macro lens, I am already excited! Especially if it is an APS-C lens, of course!

But what I dislike is the somewhat smeared quality as soon as it gets blurry in the background, combined with the double lines it produces in these images.
My 55mm Nikkor does have an outlining issue that results in some double lining stuff, but that ancient little lens does not smear like this one appears to do.
My Tamron AF 90mm f2.8 Di Macro also renders nicer (although it does have its peculiarities rendering-wise, like a weird type os "smearing"), similar FOV on FF.
And my quirky Ultra Micro Nikkor 55mm f2 is in a totally different league in every sense.

..... please to see you took it in the manner in which it was meant !!      Smile

....... one of the best rendering macros is the Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX HSM 1.1 ....... no doubling ........  good focal length too.

Markus wrote of it :
The quality of the bokeh (out-of-focus blur) is a primary aspect for such a large aperture lens. The Sigma is capable of delivering very pleasing results here.
Bokeh is a bit rough and nervous in front of the focal plane, but very smooth behind it, even in the transition zone (where many lenses struggle).
Background highlights are evenly filled with only a very small amount of outlining wide open. Mechanical vignetting affects the shape of the highlights towards the borders at f/2.8 and also at f/4.

Rock that very smooth background  !
In my Nikon DSLR days, I used to have a Tamron 90mm 2.8 and it had very good rendering.
In my Pentax DSLR days, I had an old Kiron 105mm f2.8 macro which was great. Unfortunately, all of my gear was stolen. After buying in Pentax again, I purchased the Pentax 100mm 2.8 macro which was also excellent.

Now, In the cheapo department there is also the Meike 85mm f2.8 macro 1.5:1 reviewed here https://www.ephotozine.com/article/meike...view-31461
However, it's almost twice the price of the 7artisans.
For Fuji-X, without using an adapter (or extension tubes), there isn't all that much choice in macro lenses.
For my occasional use, the 7artisans fulfills the bill perfectly ;-)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Seeing how it renders, I'd go for the cheaper option (Xnd hand Nikkor 55mm f3.5 + F-mount to X-mount adapter for instance). You do need an extension tube to reach 1:1, of course.