Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
baking tins and lens-hoods
Ok I found an adjustable Dr. Oetker baking tin to use as a mold for my new short carbon fiber lens-hood for the AF-S 600mm F4E FL VR ....... 

....... the mold could be adjusted to the exact size I needed ....... having laid up the lens-hood ....... I tackled the locking mechanism which was not easy and took three goes ...... (Nikon are completely out of stock of lens-hood parts and probably will be for some time)

here's the result:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
It is not very deep for the 600mm, but anyway impressive handy work! You have to put some mat black stuff on the inside (felt?) to prevent reflections.
Pretty weird the price of those original hoods, and even more weird the un-availability of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313512485000?ha...Sw9Nlgi75A
(06-05-2021, 12:40 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: It is not very deep for the 600mm, but anyway impressive handy work! You have to put some mat black stuff on the inside (felt?) to prevent reflections.
Pretty weird the price of those original hoods, and even more weird the un-availability of them.

Recently I have been shooting without the lens-hood at all ..... to keep down the weight/ windage as well as spooking the birds less ......... you really don't need a hood when you follow the golden rule of sun and wind on your back ....... as for black matting the inside of the hood ..... I'll probably paint it mat black
 ......  while waiting for "the birds" I stand the lens on it's hood vertically ...... it's too heavy to hold constantly ....... hence a short hood to keep the COG lower but keep the front element well clear of stones and such like ...... 

you say weird,  weird expensive?  ....... new the HK-40 goes for $500 and I've seen them for up to $895 ...
...... your link to ebay is the least expensive I've ever seen and pretty rare !
Good job. I wonder whether it makes sense to stick some opaque, black stuff in the interior part to avoid undesired reflections...
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(06-05-2021, 01:16 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 12:40 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: It is not very deep for the 600mm, but anyway impressive handy work! You have to put some mat black stuff on the inside (felt?) to prevent reflections.

Recently I have been shooting without the lens-hood at all ..... to keep down the weight/ windage as well as spooking the birds less ......... you really don't need a hood when you follow the golden rule of sun and wind on your back ....... as for black matting the inside of the hood ..... I'll probably paint it mat black
 ......  while waiting for "the birds" I stand the lens on it's hood vertically ...... it's too heavy to hold constantly ....... hence a short hood to keep the COG lower but keep the front element well clear of stones and such like ...... 

you say weird,  weird expensive?  ....... new the HK-40 goes for $500 and I've seen them for up to $895 ...
...... your link to ebay is the least expensive I've ever seen and pretty rare !

You i know it is inexpensive, that is why I posted it in case you do want to pursue one anyway... The others I saw were $700 and up.
I remember Dr. Oetker... They make/bake good stuff. Smile
(06-05-2021, 01:36 PM)stoppingdown Wrote: Good job. I wonder whether it makes sense to stick some opaque, black stuff in the interior part to avoid undesired reflections...

I'm off shooting with it this evening I'll try a few "sun just out of frame" shots ..... when the sun does get in the frame even with the real hood on ......... it's white out time !!
  Putting some sort of mat black anything inside can only make things better ...... but it's not like a wide angle or even a standard lens as the light angle is  only ...... 4° 10" FF ....... 2° 40" DX.
I saw only now the post about the price... almost $300 for a hood, they are crazy. But I should not be surprised: the hood for the SEL70200 (the ƒ/4) costs almost 60 €.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(06-05-2021, 04:07 PM)stoppingdown Wrote: I saw only now the post about the price... almost $300 for a hood, they are crazy. But I should not be surprised: the hood for the SEL70200 (the ƒ/4) costs almost 60 €.

That's a used lens-hood with a dent in it,  plus $50  postage ...... however, carbon fiber .... flocked .... weighing 435 gms  ..... nicely made aluminium flange and rectangular locking screw and rubber bump guard    .......  

....... they're $500 new or more !! 

....... hence, I made mine ...... cost €10 resin + €9 cake tin + spray varnish €7 plus a flap sanding wheel €14 sand paper ........ 5 euros aluminium rectangular tube ........  all in 50 euros and a pint of blood sweat and tears .........
(06-05-2021, 01:59 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 01:16 PM)davidmanze Wrote:

You i know it is inexpensive, that is why I posted it in case you do want to pursue one anyway... The others I saw were $700 and up.

.... Ok BC ...... I get it ..... thanks !!