Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens
Dave Manze,

I just wrote a reply to Klaus and did the same thing. What I prefer to do is to write a response with my word processor, and then past it into reply. OK, you said:

Hi Mac ....

(I just wrote long thread and accidentally clicked on a button and lost it all .... )

So I'll ask simply what is the problem using the 90D ??
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like the 90D! But really with the 100-400mm Mk.II. I realize the Mk I version is a great lens in it own right, but with a long lens you want the better IS. My concern with Cindy is that she generally has gotten used to shooting at higher shutter speeds with higher ISO's than I think is possible with a 90D. It's sort of funny because all nature shooters develop their own styles. I usually shoot at an ISO speed that is a bit low, and take my chance with a longer shutter speed. I will post that Owl picture later when I read how. But that was extreme even for me. Shooting an Owl at 1/40sec and ISO 1250. The result was good enough though. The focal length was only 300mm.

But you question why not 90D has two answers. I'm not I consider the 70D and 90D adequately water resistant. I haven't had a camera broken from very light rain, but have had them stop temporarily. That does not give me confidence to recommend them. I normally stay indoors when it is wet out, but in Costa Rica you have to take what you get. I would still purchase the 90D over the 7D Mark II, but honestly, I would like to own one. I have really only owned one professional level camera and it is a confidence builder!

Keep in touch, brother!

-Mac

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry I lost my reply to you Klaus: Good suggestions all, in short!

-Mac

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rover, you said:

FWIW I feel the input conditions are a bit contradictory: compact but with both long reach AND the good lowlight capability/quality. Correct me if I am mistaken tho.

No, you are not mistaken. I think we can all agree photography is a game of compromises. We start by wanting everything, and we end with what we can live with!

Cindy and I were just discussing what would be our next cameras. She had believed that mirrorless would be lighter...Hah!

She was looking at Sony. I was thinking maybe R6/R5. In both cases they sort of fail.

Weight/Expense/IQ/Reach/ISO noise/Ergonomics/Battery life/Viewfinder/Ease of use/Build Qaulity

If you want them all it is two expensive. Rover, your and your wifes cameras are light with pretty good IQ. The 80D is one I think is a sleeper in the Canon line-up. For me, that would be capable enough I think. I skipped it going 70D to 90D, but I have read it is a great camera! It is 6:00pm here, I am forced to go looking for birds.

-Thanks for the input!

-Mac

P.S. - Wim, I will read your post when I get back!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by davidmanze - 06-06-2021, 09:40 AM
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by Arthur Macmillan - 06-07-2021, 01:02 AM
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by davidmanze - 06-07-2021, 10:17 AM
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by davidmanze - 06-08-2021, 08:15 AM
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by davidmanze - 06-08-2021, 10:32 AM
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by davidmanze - 06-08-2021, 03:48 PM