Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some ppl are rather dense to say the least (about shooting in a public place)
If you want a good laugh:

These Photos Got Me Kicked Off a Beach in Toronto:

https://petapixel.com/2016/01/28/these-p...n-toronto/
--Florent

Flickr gallery
You're kidding, but now that I've bought a Zhiyun Weebill S, which is catalogued as a "professional tool", and most important it looks like some "important" gear, I'm fearing to experience the same kind of encounter in some place...
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
At a local park here in 2018 I was not allowed to use my 7D2 because it's a professional camera however they had absolutely no problem with Sony A6000 Big Grin
A few years ago in the US I was approached by forest ranger while taking pictures in national forest/wilderness. He told me that if I was going to use the photos for anything beyond personal use, I need a permit. I actually still believe that's the rule, though it's a rule that's rarely enforced. With the amount of published smartphone pictures being published it's getting harder to enforce.

In this case, I think the photographer totally knew what he meant and was being a moron. Then he wrote this article proving to be an even bigger moron. He probably could have answered that the photos he was taken were for private use. Then it is no different than taking family photos with an smart phone. If the photos weren't for private use, for his or the models portfolio only w/o money being exchanged, he should have known. Unless he's lives in a vacuum.

I know in many places the don't enforce no photography allowed with people using smartphones. This is true in many countries I've visited. However, they will ask you not to take photos if you're using an ILC. Definitely flash is usually a no-no. I found in many instances my Pen-f with a small lens sneaks under the line. IOW, I'm not asked to put it away while I see people with full size slr's and big fast lenses being asked to do so.

IMO, this shouldn't have come as a surprise to this photographer. Do you think he may of also had helpers? People holding reflectors for instance? Thus, making him look more professional?
The personal use/profit use thing is a different point - I mean, in Italy the Ministry of Cultural Heritage theoretically requires a permit if you take a photo for professional purposes in an a valuable context (which in Italy includes most town/village centers, as it would be in France, Spain and other countries). While I disagree with this law, it's rarely enforced. The paradoxical point of the article is when they guess that a photographer using a professional equipment is surely doing a professional job. Nonsense: if I have the money I can buy a race car and have also all the tuning stuff, this doesn't mean that when I drive it I'm a professional race driver. If I drive faster than the speed limit, it's another matter.

Sometimes I hear of problems - this rarely occurs anyway - if you use a tripod: sometimes the authorities are just worried about over-crowding public places; imagine e.g. the center place of Florence (which is not so large) packed with people wanting to use a tripod at the same moment.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(06-21-2021, 06:44 PM)stoppingdown Wrote: imagine e.g. the center place of Florence (which is not so large) packed with people wanting to use a tripod at the same moment.

to me there is something much worse than this: crowds of people with SELFIE sticks! Nooooooooo!
Nowadays, you see them almost everywhere in popular spots; they're now part of the landscape.
Sad.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(06-21-2021, 06:44 PM)stoppingdown Wrote: The personal use/profit use thing is a different point - I mean, in Italy the Ministry of Cultural Heritage theoretically requires a permit if you take a photo for professional purposes in an a valuable context (which in Italy includes most town/village centers, as it would be in France, Spain and other countries). While I disagree with this law, it's rarely enforced. The paradoxical point of the article is when they guess that a photographer using a professional equipment is surely doing a professional job. Nonsense: if I have the money I can buy a race car and have also all the tuning stuff, this doesn't mean that when I drive it I'm a professional race driver. If I drive faster than the speed limit, it's another matter.

Sometimes I hear of problems - this rarely occurs anyway - if you use a tripod: sometimes the authorities are just worried about over-crowding public places; imagine e.g. the center place of Florence (which is not so large) packed with people wanting to use a tripod at the same moment.

I disagree about the "paradoxical point" because it makes sense to me. If you're using gear that looks professional, and you have a model that looks like she's professional, it looks professional and if the right authority comes by they will point that out to you that you need a permit. Agree or not, it has been my experience. One of the reasons I really like my Pen-f is I've used it in places where I would have been told to put my camera away.

Of course he's not going to tell a family obviously on vacation to stop taking pictures with their smartphone.

I still wouldn't be surprised to find out he had people holding reflectors and helping with the shoot. Maybe he was "commandeering" a portion of the beach? Again, while nothing wrong, other than upsetting the people behind him, it is conspicuous.

I've been to many places where you need to by a permit upon entering to use a camera. These places are usually quite strict about even smartphone use. Conversely, there are probably draconian places where the law says no photography period without a permit where they (mostly) let most people get away with it. I see this happen in museums quite often nowadays with smartphones. At least most smartphone users won't stand in front of something for an extended period of time. Which is probably part of the reason they have these rules (overcrowding as you put it).

I live in an area that a lot of big production movies are made. It's funny watching drone footage of some location and then the scene starts at a local location. They definitely pay for permits and/or work out financial agreements to film at locations.

Fundamentally, I disagree with these rules/laws. But, where do you draw the line? Like a lot of laws like this, even covid mask rules, they try and write a simple rule that ultimately does not apply to all circumstances....

Cheers, Mike