Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server crash
Hi folks,

Just a heads up - the main server has crashed.

You can access the main portal again but some articles (& images) aren't there yet.

I'm working on it ... gimme a day or two ...

This was in the making for some weeks already without going too much into the details.

brrrr
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I suppose it's refreshing, isn't it?
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
As a cold shower.

It was quite fascinating actually.

I wasn't able to log in anymore. However, the webserver was happily serving pages.

I then requested a rescue console from the datacenter - and the support told me that I have to reboot.
Yeah, the thing was - it didn't reboot anymore. Which was the point when I got severe headaches.

Eventually (after 4h), I was able to recover the system via "bootrec /rebuildbcd" (BCD=Boot Configuration Data). Didn't work the first time. But then IT is never science but a different form of magic.

Never heard of this cmd before ... and, honestly, I hope I will never need it in my life again.

I think everything is working again now.

Seems so, AND the Tamron 35/2.8 review is finally out of the "industry news" and in the "OL updates", too, which is a nice bonus. Sorry that you had to go through all that stuff with the server, though.
I suppose 2 server crashes in 25 years isn't too bad.

Hopefully not more than 2 in the next 25...
(07-28-2021, 02:42 PM)Klaus Wrote: I suppose 2 server crashes in 25 years isn't too bad.

Depends on what actually "crashed"...
(07-28-2021, 02:42 PM)Klaus Wrote: I suppose 2 server crashes in 25 years isn't too bad.

as long as no important data is lost, it's not a problem
MTF graphs are missing in in old MFT reviews.
(07-30-2021, 01:57 PM)goran h Wrote: MTF graphs are missing in in old MFT reviews.

For example? I had a look at some and I can spot them.