Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens lab test - Samyang / Rokinon AF 14mm f/2.8 RF
https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_...ang14f28rf
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Why do I have the feeling Canon is shooting itself (sp?) in the foot by actively clamping down on third-party stuff for the RF mount? I don't remember them being so aggressive against companies making lenses for the EF mount - it looked like they tacitly tolerated them, and probably got peripheral increase in camera sales by having the widest assortment of lenses by other brands available for their system (and, in Sigma's case, the best assortment of HSM lenses while some of the other mounts had to make due with screw-driven stuff back in the day).

That is, of course, if the real reason for Samyang's dithering is some kind of legal action, and not something else altogether. Smile
(08-08-2021, 04:05 PM)Rover Wrote: Why do I have the feeling Canon is shooting itself (sp?) in the foot by actively clamping down on third-party stuff for the RF mount? I don't remember them being so aggressive against companies making lenses for the EF mount - it looked like they tacitly tolerated them, and probably got peripheral increase in camera sales by having the widest assortment of lenses by other brands available for their system (and, in Sigma's case, the best assortment of HSM lenses while some of the other mounts had to make due with screw-driven stuff back in the day).

That is, of course, if the real reason for Samyang's dithering is some kind of legal action, and not something else altogether. Smile

Now that Samyang is an AF player, I doubt that their MF sales are quite comparable. It's also not about parts shortage because E-mount is not affected.
The AF is slso working quite well 

So if it not about technology, parts and sales ... what could possibly remain ( also given the fact that Sigma/Tamron/Tokina are keeping their distance from R/Z-mount)?

You're right, of course, Klaus. I don't think many people shooting E-mount even remember about the Samyang MF lenses anymore (it's different in the DSLR segment, of course, where only a couple of lenses were released with AF before... you know... the big extinction).

I wish Samyang and Tamron would join the L-mount bandwagon, too. Suddenly it would be a lot more interesting (that, and someone, give us APS-C L-mount cameras except that lone Leica, of course). Smile
Canon managed before to make many Sigma lenses non compatible, doing it now is easier than ever, already EOSRP battery charger doesn't recharge third party batteries, you have to buy charger plus battery, they could easily make third party batteries non usable on Canon cameras.
Already they made most third party flashes non usable after removing central pin.
An adventure with Canon mount is simply too risky for third party, the camera already knows even the lens serial number, so you imagine how easy it is for Canon to make any third party lens non usable... Is is a smart thing Canon is doing ?? that's another story
(08-09-2021, 11:45 AM)toni-a Wrote: Canon managed before to make many Sigma lenses non compatible, doing it now is easier than ever, already EOSRP battery charger doesn't recharge third party batteries, you have to buy charger plus battery, they could easily make third party batteries non usable on Canon cameras.
Already  they made most third party flashes non usable after removing central pin.
An adventure with Canon mount  is simply too risky for third party, the camera already knows even the lens serial number, so you imagine how easy it is for Canon to make any third party lens non usable... Is is a smart thing Canon is doing ?? that's another story
It is all relative, because people can always build a lens which only deals with the EF contacts, and that works just fine, as is proven by the Canon Ef => RF-adapters. The Samyang actually is such a lens anyway.

As to flashes and batterie: flashes I can understand, because of the voltage going over the contacts and the chips in-camera behind it. The risk of damaging camera electronics is too large, and really, damage to the camera in that case should be doown to the flash manufacturer, not Canon itself. To me that seems like a logical reason to try and prevent the use of non-Canon flashes.  Even so, I am sure the 3rd-party manufacturers wil find a way around it anyway.

And as to 3rd-party batteries, as long as Canon does not stop non-Canon batteries from functioning in-camera, that is no problem either. There are enough 3rd party battery charhers out there which will charge any battery anyway. Besides, even here I am sure the 3rd-party suppliers would find a way around this - for the RP they already have done so anyway.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
And lets not forget the third party firmware hacks. If Canon is really as restrictive they will come.
Where is the info coming from that Samyang is using the EF protocol?

The number of contacts on the mount is identical to Canon RF lenses.

(08-09-2021, 05:37 PM)borisbg Wrote: And lets not forget the third party firmware hacks. If Canon is really as restrictive they will come.

I don't know if I would risk bricking something like an R3 though...
(yes, I find the R3 appealing - I have a weak spot for cameras with integrated grips Smile)
(08-10-2021, 01:43 AM)Klaus Wrote: Where is the info coming from that Samyang is using the EF protocol?

The number of contacts on the mount is identical to Canon RF lenses.
The number of contacts being identical makes no difference, Klaus. The original EF contacts with exactly the same function(s) and protocols are still present, otherwise the straight-through Canon and 3rd-party adapters would not work for the existing EF-lenses either.

Samyamg did already design a bunch of lenses with EF-contacts which transmitted all relevant information, and also created AF-lenses for EF.

Where I read the story about it being an EF-lens in reality I can not remember anymore, it was a while ago and I did not save the link, I am afraid.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....