Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your advice for ultrawide solution
More than even I need an ultrawide now in Doha (architecture)
I am using Canon 10-18 plus Rokinon 8mm fishye on 7D2 and I am satisfied with the result however 7D2 is a big and heavy camera
next month I am receiving EOS RP I already have Tokina 16-28 here however the Tokina lens is an absolute brick
I have also Sony A6000 plus 16mmf2.8 and wide converter but the lens is a disappointment, the adater I have wouldn't focus with Canon 10-18 and since it is STM and focuses by wire, it doesn't work.
So my options
-Sell Tokina get a lightweight slower ultrawide like Canon 16-35f4 or Nisi 15mmf4 (interested in the latter for the sunstar effect)
-Get a better Canon Sony Adapter
-live with the weight constraints , especially optically I am very satisfied with my Tokina
If you can swing for the Canon 16-35/4 L it's a no-brainer. I love mine to bits (well... hopefully never literally LOL)
It's a pity the 10-18 doesn't work with the Sony.

Then again, I don't think the 16-35/4 + adapter + RP is going to be much more lightweight and small than the 7D2 + 10-18. Maybe just leave it at that, though I would believe the Canon 16-35/4 is a lot better than that Tokina.
My main camera will be EOS RP, SONY A6000 plus 10-18 plus adaper is lighter than Tokina alone.... so even the dual camera setup is feasible and I tend to prefer it, since I don't have to swap lenses, when I had 750D, my setup was 750D plus 10-18 plus EOSRP
(08-21-2021, 07:40 PM)toni-a Wrote: My main camera will be EOS RP, SONY A6000 plus 10-18 plus adaper is lighter than Tokina alone.... so even the  dual camera setup is feasible and I tend to prefer it, since I don't have to swap lenses, when I had 750D, my setup was 750D plus 10-18 plus EOSRP

EOS RP + RF 1.4x TC + EF to RF adapter + EF-S 10-18mm?

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News...News=35054

or

EOS RP + EF to RF adapter + Soligor 1.7x TC + EF-S 10-18mm? These Soligors are hard to find now, and have an 1.6x mag. (contrary to what their name implies).

Or EOS 200D with EF-S 10-18mm?
RP and 10-18, now that's an interesting idea. How much resolution will be left after the crop mode, 10~ish MP? Sounds like enough for most applications.
By the way, I still remember you hacking the 10-18 for larger-than-APSC use, BC. Smile Someday, I'll probably do the same.
(08-22-2021, 07:10 AM)Rover Wrote: RP and 10-18, now that's an interesting idea. How much resolution will be left after the crop mode, 10~ish MP? Sounds like enough for most applications.
By the way, I still remember you hacking the 10-18 for larger-than-APSC use, BC. Smile Someday, I'll probably do the same.

With the TC's you do the cropping with optics, so the sensor resolution remains the same :O
Yeah, I was just thinking of the option of just using the standard adapter in APS-C mode.
With the TC + adapter, it's becoming rather unwieldy, innit?
(08-22-2021, 11:18 AM)Rover Wrote: Yeah, I was just thinking of the option of just using the standard adapter in APS-C mode.
With the TC + adapter, it's becoming rather unwieldy, innit?

A bit.. but the lens is silly light on its own.