Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report: Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8 S (FX)
Well, then, finally Smile

And yes, the (FX) is there intentionally, DX review of it to follow soon.

https://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/1...kkorz5018s

P.S.: still proof-reading, some typos may still be in there.

Oh, one more thing: we usually emphasize that MTF results can not be compared across different test systems.

Well, that's not true for the D850 and Z7 results Smile A bit more background info later, and I'll also update the text in the reviews accordingly.
Editor
opticallimits.com

Woohoo, Nikon Z is in da house!

I remember someone complaining and even claiming anti-Nikon bias recently. Well... take that. Big Grin
Well, I don't want to ruin the party, but there are Z reviews on the horizon that will surely lead to that claim again Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Woah, a very impressive optical performance, especially the wide-open sharpness!

Out of curiosity: what's missing to reach the 5* for optical quality?
--Florent

Flickr gallery
And people keep wondering why 50/1.8 lenses no longer cost $100 and weigh 150 grams. Well, most of them.
(09-05-2021, 08:05 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Out of curiosity: what's missing to reach the 5* for optical quality?

A tad higher border and corner sharpness.

You'll see an example of a 5* rating soon Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

(09-05-2021, 04:28 PM)mst Wrote: Well, then, finally Smile

And yes, the (FX) is there intentionally, DX review of it to follow soon.

https://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/1...kkorz5018s

P.S.: still proof-reading, some typos may still be in there.

Oh, one more thing: we usually emphasize that MTF results can not be compared across different test systems.

Well, that's not true for the D850 and Z7 results Smile A bit more background info later, and I'll also update the text in the reviews accordingly.

Indeed it's nice to see a  review of a Nikon S lens ......... and the result is ......  it's a great lens ........ no real faults at all ...... 

Suggestion box:
  ....... most of the Nikkor S lenses are excellent and many do not focus breath  ...... and as MLCs are extensively used for video, a mention of both focus breathing and any parfocal characteristics (for zooms) would be welcomed from video shooters, so that everybody is covered ....... (and Nikon might sell a few more lenses which I'm sure they would appreciate) .........

Now where's that new Nikon sports sport body .......... (of course I'm only window shopping unless it's an APSc body ha ha)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Dave's clichés

a tad clunky here:

"This allows to adjust the focus throw depending on the speed the focus ring is turned with, giving fast changes with fast movements and very precise fine-tuning with slow movements."

"the focus ring is capable of responding to both fast focus adjustments, as well as slow fine precise tuning"   
Thanks, David. The plan is to mention focus breathing whenever it is an issue with a lens (some of the Fuji XF primes show heavy focus breathing, for example). On all of the Z f/1.8 primes, that's certainly not the case.

I'm not much into video at all, so I'll leave all the video aspects of a lens to those reviewers who have a lot more experience and knowledge in that topic. I could have check if the zooms are parfocal, though, shouldn't be too difficult. Unfortunately, all of the zooms I have had in the lab have new owners already...

Regarding that clunky sentence: thanks for the suggestion. I didn't like the sentence myself (and that clunky one was my 3rd attempt already). I'm still looking for a better description that includes and emphasizes how the lens dynamically adopts to how fast the focus ring is turned... oh, well, maybe just found it Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

"... both X as well as Y "
Both this and that.
This, as well as that.

Better not mix those, that feels a tad clunky ;-)
(09-08-2021, 07:57 AM)mst Wrote: Thanks, David. The plan is to mention focus breathing whenever it is an issue with a lens (some of the Fuji XF primes show heavy focus breathing, for example). On all of the Z f/1.8 primes, that's certainly not the case.

I'm not much into video at all, so I'll leave all the video aspects of a lens to those reviewers who have a lot more experience and knowledge in that topic. I could have check if the zooms are parfocal, though, shouldn't be too difficult. Unfortunately, all of the zooms I have had in the lab have new owners already...

Regarding that clunky sentence: thanks for the suggestion. I didn't like the sentence myself (and that clunky one was my 3rd attempt already). I'm still looking for a better description that includes and emphasizes how the lens dynamically adopts to how fast the focus ring is turned... oh, well, maybe just found it Wink

Oops Markus ...... I missed this reply .......  

how about :

"The focus motor "responds faithfully" to both rapid and slow rotations of the manual focus ring, as well as fine tune, no matter how incremental"

Of course I'll waive the copyright ............. Smile