Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next OL lens test report - Tokina atx-m 56mm f/1.4 X
https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1129-tokina56f14x

Good except at the borders at f/1.4.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
A lens construction scheme is not a "block diagram", a block diagram looks like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_diag...20diagrams.

For the rest, I have not noticed any obvious errors (besides comma usage/placement).
(10-03-2021, 11:20 PM)Klaus Wrote: https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1129-tokina56f14x

Good except at the borders at f/1.4.

Dear Klaus,

Fujinon 56 is 1.2 not 1.4.

Thank you for all your efforts and cheers

Andreas
What exactly is purple fringing. Er what I mean is it a 'bug' with the sensor handling the dynamic range in a local transition or an actual chromatic feature of the lens. It is a bit confusing that aperture has an impact unless it has something to do with the size of the transition and the smaller aperture reduces the spread of the transition to a pinpoint but then why would the sensor handle this situation better? Is it because the transition is hitting fewer cells on the sensor or some other factor ?
PF was dealt with by Sigma (at least) by applying a coating to the back element. They called this "DG" (that, and the upgrade of the electronics for EF, was the only difference between DG and non-DG lenses).

PF is related to the amount of light, it is not a chromatic aberration from the optics of the lens. My understanding is that it has to do with the amount of (UV?) light that hits the sensor, gets reflected back to the lens, and ends up back at the sensor again, gives this PF (purple, magenta, blue depending on camera/lens) fringe.

You don't see it with just "contrast", but at the edge of strongly exposed/over exposed areas (see the sample image Klaus provided as example).
Thanks for the review Klaus, it's very much appreciated :-)

The Viltrox version is dirt cheap where I live: ~285 USD, making it an awesome value. I own the Fuji 56 f1.2, but the AF is not always spot on and rather slow.

What are your thoughts on the Tokina versus the Fuji 56 f1.2 if money wasn't an issue (or if, say, they were priced the same), especially regarding IQ and rendering?
For portraits only, which one would you choose and why?

Thanks!
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Looking at Tokina's own gallery, I feel that the Tokina renders nicer with portrait photography than the Fuji. The real close ups (see Klaus' samples) appear to render more "dirty".
Eh... Guess coming today to the site and seeing two new reviews at once has been, after all, a dream. But hey, it was so real! Pity I can't remember what lenses the reviews were of. Smile
I scrolled through your dream and saw the Fuji XF 3mm f2 WR dual fisheye and the Fuji XC 18-600mm f2.8 OIS PZ...
Then I'm glad it was only a dream. Smile Though maybe your dream reading machine was not that accurate, and that 50mm f/1.0 was also there. Big Grin