Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D rendering, flat rendering, colour rendition, Bokeh and Micro-contrast.
Quote:Oh, you're probably referring to that "article" by a guy called Yannick something... Frankly, I'd just call that pseudo-scientific clickbait because his "conclusions" were dubious and his examples - to these eyes - were either running counter to his narrative, or cherry-picked to prove his point (which they didn't do very well) - like choosing a photo of Asian model to illustrate the point of "flat face rendering" by a modern lens (Sigma 35 AFAIR), or choosing different shooting angles to fit the "conclusions" better (in the case of the 105mm).

If that guy liked the old (and, as the testing by PZ and other sites, clearly proves, less sharp) lenses, he could've just said that. But inventing a theory and trying to pass it as fact is, to put it mildly... a monumental waste of time on the part of everyone involved, so to say. Smile

It's that "character" argument again that we often hear from people dissing the modern designs and/or trying to validate their love for old, flawed glass (as if opinion ever needs validation... to me, that speaks of inherent inferiority complex)... but cranked up to eleven. Tongue
Indeed he's one of the main protagonists, I followed that thread where as you say, a Sigma lens was used to take an image of an Asian lady with her corresponding petite nose, followed by an image of a "Pinocchio look alike" taken using the AF35 F2D lens, all this to show "conclusively" the true 3D rendering of this large hooter from the 35mm F2D.

This was obviously spotted by Ken Wheeler (TAP) who came dashing in to sit at his video table gushing with "How he found proof" of his claimed theories, that Sigma and Otus lenses were just crap!  

The overall reception of Yanneck's post was generally  derisory, excepting a few faithful believers claiming that "if you are blessed with their vision, it would be easy for you to see, and the fact that if you can't see it, just means that you are in no position to pass judgment"  a clever way of sowing doubt in the uncertain!

The latest from TAP is with the Nikor AF-S105mm F1.4, where without any more evidence than two or three shots published on Flickr, he was capable at a stoke of condemning the lens as "junk, crap" and when overnight one of the images was modified he construed that as a "NIkon conspiracy/coverup" as Nikon knew he was right.

My guess is he sits at home after dark doors double bolted fearing a knock on the door from the Nikon heavies!  Sad 

Messages In This Thread
3D rendering, flat rendering, colour rendition, Bokeh and Micro-contrast. - by davidmanze - 10-31-2016, 04:59 PM