Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR announced
It looks to me this section exists solely so non-Pentaxians would have the opportunity to bash/othering the brand.

The Limited series - and I'm talking mostly about the FA and the new D FA here* - are lenses optimized for rendering qualities and less so for numerical evaluations. Pentax' literature about the new D FA Limited speaks about combining smooth, soft bokeh rendering at close distances with edge to edge sharpness at longer distances. They're doing this by subjective evaluation of actual images, rather than only numbers.

For this lens they even built a special barrel, able to adjust for different amounts of bokeh effect.
I can't wait to see what this lens can do. It's the first real "digital" Limited after all.

People are mentioning - as usual - Sigma and Tamron. Their lenses... my impression is that they're optimized for test charts and reviews. Which is of course fine if that's what you want.
But the Limited name means something.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/..._interview

* the DA Limiteds, of which I own 3, appears to be optimized for size.

P.S. It's a bit pricier than I hoped, though.

(10-14-2021, 09:12 AM)Rover Wrote: Also raising eyebrows (if not fears) is the fact that AF is relegated to a short couple of lines, as the third point under "Other features". It's literally "little more than a footnote" and if it really speaks of their order of priorities, it portends no good for the actual performance. But I'd be happy to be mistaken on this count.
Whose eyebrows? Rolleyes Given that this is an ultra-wide angle prime, how much were you expecting them to talk about AF?

The lens has a DC motor, which is a known quantity in Pentax-land. It won't be the fastest (that's the PLM), but it should provide decent speed. I prefer it to the PLM, because with DC we have a mechanically connected lens; focus-by-wire can be acceptable on a zoom but has no place in a Limited.

Most important - for lenses such as this - is the precision, and in the interview it seems they specifically made sure the AF will be precise. Screw drive AF is often very fast, but needs micro-adjustments completely ruining the AF experience.

I see only one potential weakness, that is AF noise for video using the integrated microphone. But, come one...

Messages In This Thread
RE: HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR announced - by Kunzite - 10-14-2021, 10:51 AM
RE: HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR announced - by davidmanze - 10-15-2021, 05:29 AM
RE: HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR announced - by davidmanze - 10-16-2021, 10:43 AM
RE: HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR announced - by davidmanze - 10-19-2021, 07:35 AM
RE: HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR announced - by davidmanze - 10-18-2021, 08:58 AM
RE: HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR announced - by davidmanze - 10-19-2021, 08:45 AM
RE: HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR announced - by davidmanze - 10-19-2021, 09:17 AM
RE: HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR announced - by davidmanze - 10-23-2021, 06:24 AM
RE: HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR announced - by davidmanze - 10-24-2021, 08:37 AM