Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony Alpha 7 IV released
(10-22-2021, 07:14 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: These prices are just absurd, especially if Sony expect APS-C users migrating to FF.

At least Canon (RP), Panasonic (S5), Nikon (Z5) have affordable FF bodies, but Sony?
The aging A7iii is still very expensive as is the A7c.

Yeah, it's those pricey rear screens ...........

.........  they cost a fortune to produce ten years ago ........... Smile
I am a bit amused to see so much nagging against Sony. I actually do prefer the body against both R and especially Z which really does not work for me. And Canon design esthetics, well…, it is personal anyway.

As much as I hated original A7 body as it was very uncomfortable, A73 or newer simply works for me. And lens ecosystem for Sony is by far most interesting. Some real and balanced marvels there.

For pricing, I reckon A73 will soon get cheaper.
(09-10-2021, 01:30 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 02:08 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:03 PM)mst Wrote: I know, the part I quoted sounded like a generic claim though. I agree that an APS-C R camera is not likely (or at least would be a very big surprise) and a 16mm as first lens to go with it would be highly unlikely, too.

I think the first-ever Sony NEX came with the 16mm f/2.8. I still have this 16mm floating around somewhere here - and it's about the same size as the RF lens.

We'll see.

Totally about the same size.

(10-22-2021, 07:14 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: These prices are just absurd, especially if Sony expect APS-C users migrating to FF.

At least Canon (RP), Panasonic (S5), Nikon (Z5) have affordable FF bodies, but Sony?
The aging A7iii is still very expensive as is the A7c.

Well, the A7R III A is still in production - and not too shabby for a 42mp camera.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
And the A7R III already offers the lossless RAW, right? Although uncompressed they are pretty big, but I would not want to shoot the compressed lossy RAW from Sony.
I don't know. But is lossy Raw such a big deal at low/mid ISOs and standard exposures?

Not really. ;-)
(10-22-2021, 02:36 PM)Klaus Wrote: I don't know. But is lossy Raw such a big deal at low/mid ISOs and standard exposures?

The problem is not that it is lossy... It is that Sony's lossy RAW compression makes fundamental errors, leading to really odd and ugly artefacts at contrasty edges. No idea why Sony has not fixed that over the years. And also no idea why Sony has not just introduced a lossless RAW compression format either... It is not like Canon's lossless RAW makes for bigger file sizes.
I quite enjoyed Kai's video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJyigGV-x30

Dedicated to Tony

Yup, fun to watch.

There is a section about IBIS. Not really Sony’s strong point, to put it mildly. It looks to be decent, but it is difficult to judge. It would be nice if improvements are not only marginal.