Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Z9 is the most DSLR-like mirrorless we've ever seen"
This is a quote from DPR's article here: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/421056...-ever-seen

Their claim is pretty bold: "Simply put, the Z9 offers one of the best viewfinder experiences of any camera on the market. In some ways, it's the most DSLR-like experience in the mirrorless camera universe, while also providing an experience a cut above even the likes of the Sony a1 with its nominally higher-resolution 9.44M-dot electronic finder."

I'm thinking of some photographers who can't stand EVFs. Maybe the Z9 would change their opinion on the matter?
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Maybe it will, and finding $5500 in an old coat's pocket would certainly help in this regard as well. Smile
(11-04-2021, 02:12 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: I'm thinking of some photographers who can't stand EVFs. Maybe the Z9 would change their opinion on the matter?

I hope so Wink

I definitely qualify for being part of that sceptic group of dinosaurs. Actually, the Z9 (and the general direction Nikon is going) changed my mind months ago already, when the first more detailed rumors of the Z9 surfaced.

I have since then sold most of my F-mount gear (except for the D850, for reviews, and the PC-E 85) and also finally managed to overcome that nostalgic Leica M addiction Wink Not mainly because of the Z9, but in a good part also due to the pandemic situation. Most of my gear would have collected dust during that time anyway, especially the events I like to shoot simply didn't happen. Also travelling, the main use case for the Leica, wasn't possible either.
I am now looking forward to building a new main system for my personal use around the Z9, yes.

I'm sure I'll still miss an OVF now and then. But on the other hand, already now I'm more and more getting used to the benefits of an EVF. When shooting samples with the D850 recently, it took me several minutes (and quite a few ruined shots) to realize I still had -2 EV exposure compensation dialed in from a backlight shot earlier that day. Wouldn't have happened that way with the Z7.

It all comes down to habituation in the end.

(11-06-2021, 10:25 AM)Rover Wrote: Maybe it will, and finding $5500 in an old coat's pocket would certainly help in this regard as well. Smile

Yeah, I wish I remembered where I stored that coat, too...
Editor
opticallimits.com

I'll start off by saying I'm warming to the Z9 .......... best iteration of a traditional sports ML body to date .....

......... however, it's fun to see Nikon not disclosing a spec to the public ............  a Nikon employed ambassador replies he cannot answer this question ...... 

here at the 50th minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmfnT62zaVM&t=3023s

Ouch that's a cringer !!
I honestly don't care about the exact refresh rate numbers too much. Latency is the more important thing anyway.
I prefer to experience the viewfinder at some point instead. And until then, we'll have to rely on feedback from those who have actually used it. Like DPR.

Also, I don't see the Z9 as a 'sports' body. To me, it looks like a universal professional tool fit for almost any task.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(11-06-2021, 10:56 AM)mst Wrote: I honestly don't care about the exact refresh rate numbers too much. Latency is the more important thing anyway.
I agree refresh rate is often talked about, I reckon assuming short viewfinder lag. While assumption that fast data pipeline is also there is not unreasonable, it is surely not given. A short delay of image in VF - or latency - is indeed more important.

On the other hand, fast sensor (and VF?) refresh (can) be directly linked to AF performance. Other topic.
(11-06-2021, 02:16 PM)MatjazO Wrote:
(11-06-2021, 10:56 AM)mst Wrote: I honestly don't care about the exact refresh rate numbers too much. Latency is the more important thing anyway.
I agree refresh rate is often talked about, I reckon assuming short viewfinder lag. While assumption that fast data pipeline is also there is not unreasonable, it is surely not given. A short delay of image in VF - or latency - is indeed more important.

On the other hand, fast sensor (and VF?) refresh (can) be directly linked to AF performance. Other topic.

Fast sensor refresh is directly linked to AF performance indeed.
On the other hand, EVF refresh rate is unrelated to AF performance.
AF works by reading pixels from the sensor. The EVF is just for the user, nothing else.
--Florent

Flickr gallery